GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking noise during full lock low speed turns

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
My GTI does the same thing, the dealer changed the struts bearings/mounts for both sides but the noise still persisted. It starts after the car has warmed up a little. The dealer reproduced the noise in a brand new GTI too. My car has done only 7000 miles. They say its a characteristic of the car.

Funny how two dealers can have such differing viewpoints on a problem.

Dropped it off for the 20K service today and mentioned this issue.

They sent me out with some guy that I think is the head technician. When I described the noise in the lobby, the first thing he mentioned was, "sounds like a CV joint." After driving it around the parking lot for several minutes, he said that it definitely wasn't that. Initially, we couldn't even hear it, but after a couple minutes, he was able to duplicate it. He said the clicking sound wasn't loud enough to be a CV joint.

His feeling was that it was a strut bearing and he didn't believe that it was "normal," but he was also going to check some of the other new rides on the lot to see if they have the same issue. He did go on to say that even at full turn, it should be smooth. In the meantime, he was going to have the technician review it and try to determine which side it was coming from. He said he'd let me know as soon as he had more information.

Will update this thread when I hear back later today.

cawgti

Ready to race!
thanks aj, I am thinking I should start going to a different dealer for my service. They kinda blew it off, did it on the way to the shop, but did not do it after the serviced it and wanted to then go for a ride to have me point out the noise. I think they did something....

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
My GTI does the same thing, the dealer changed the struts bearings/mounts for both sides but the noise still persisted. It starts after the car has warmed up a little. The dealer reproduced the noise in a brand new GTI too. My car has done only 7000 miles. They say its a characteristic of the car.

Funny how two dealers can have such differing viewpoints on a problem.

Dropped it off for the 20K service today and mentioned this issue.

They sent me out with some guy that I think is the head technician. When I described the noise in the lobby, the first thing he mentioned was, "sounds like a CV joint." After driving it around the parking lot for several minutes, he said that it definitely wasn't that. Initially, we couldn't even hear it, but after a couple minutes, he was able to duplicate it. He said the clicking sound wasn't loud enough to be a CV joint.

His feeling was that it was a strut bearing and he didn't believe that it was "normal," but he was also going to check some of the other new rides on the lot to see if they have the same issue. He did go on to say that even at full turn, it should be smooth. In the meantime, he was going to have the technician review it and try to determine which side it was coming from. He said he'd let me know as soon as he had more information.

Will update this thread when I hear back later today.

Update: Apparently, it's not a strut bearing as they asked for me to bring it back today so they can keep trying to find the root of the problem. To their credit, they haven't given up and they gave me a free loaner (if you drive a Vdub, you know those are like gold at the dealership) for the day. 2013 Passat -- I'm incredibly underwhelmed, BTW.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
I have the same problem, however, I can only reproduce it on full lock after it has rained. If it hasn't rained and everything is dry I never hear it.

Does anybody find that it's only when wet?

In for a solution.

Yup. I only ever hear it when it's been raining out or raining. It's the weirdest thing that it only does it in the wet?!?

SRT2GTI

Banned
Any updates on this issue? I've been experiencing the same issue for a few weeks now as well.

Noob_2.0T

Go Kart Champion
I've had the same issue for awhile now. Every time I tell someone about it they think I'm crazy cuz they can't hear anything. I almost thought it was my wheel rubbing on my wheel well or something.

YUL-MK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I experienced the same issue which sometimes turns into a loud metal scraping sound. It is especially strong when I turn full left lock uphill.

Dealer said a part under the car was touching my suspension spring in the front left. They guaranteed me that no issue could ever come of this and all they did was grease up the contact area.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I get that sometimes too, it only happens on certain occasions and mostly full lock turns, no other time.

same here... used to happen once in awhile, now it happens everyday. Mine happens when hot/cold/full turn/not full turn in slow speed.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I took mine in for what sounds like a similar issue, creaking type noise when I turned the wheel all the way left or right, going either forwards or backwards (generally parking). My cousin is a service rep there and said that VW changed the CV boots over the last couple years from a soft rubber to a harder material; he said that the softer material was ripping at 40-50k miles and was needing to be replaced too frequently. Now with the harder material, it is making that creaking noise that generally goes away after 3-5k miles. This might not apply to everyone, but figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone else is running pretty low miles still.

DejaEntendu

Ready to race!
I've got this issue as well, always had it and it only happens when it rains. I've also heard people call it the "old creaking ship" noise. I was actually thinking of how embarrassing it is this morning because of the look I got as I was backing out of a parking spot.

VgRt6

Ready to race!
My 2012 has made this noise since Day 1, but only during or after rain. It's the outer CV joint boots. I put the car in the garage, turned the steering fully to one side and then slowly rolled the car forward and back while reaching into the wheel well and putting a hand on the CV boot. You can feel the boot folds "pop" with each click. It doesn't do the same thing when the boot is dry.

pjung23551

Ready to race!
I have the same click. Tried tyrolsport collars, 034 subframe and motor mounts, whiteline walk, 034 trIling arm bushings. No help on the click but the clutch does engage with rifle action accuracy. I thought the click was from my adjustble camber top hats...guess its the subframe :(

XZT123

Ready to race!
I have the same problem dunno what it is. I was debating telling the dealer or not because I thought it could be related to my coilovers, but now that I hear a lot of people have the same noise, I'm not so sure.

rich337

Ready to race!
my car has been making this noise since day 1, rain or shine. the dealership insists it's normal and nothing's wrong. i'm not too worried about it