GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch discussion

aspirollari

Ready to race!
Hey guys, Ive been trying to look for a new clutch that will be able to handle stage 2 with a custom tune using the AP from cobb. The problem is, all the clutch discussions on here or other VW forums are so outdated (2-3 years old). So id like to start a new discussion with more recent opinions and experiences with different clutches. So please give your input on what aftermarket clutch you have used and your experience with it. It'll be very beneficial to the VW virgins out there (like me) and give us something important to talk about.

Jared32

Ready to race!
I'm in for this as well I'm looking for a clutch also..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECB27529

Passed Driver's Ed
Good question. I bought car CPO, had clutch new installed already...but as I don't know it's history, I'm wanting to get a new one installed before anything happens. I'm APR stage2+ full bolt on. Just looking for a good price and a good product. Blackforest Industries is near me. Been thinking about their stage 3 setup...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rascal

Ready to race!
RSR clutch. Slightly more firm than stock but dead quiet and will hold the power. Not cheap but a great solution. I've had mine for about a year and half and it is superb. :D

aspirollari

Ready to race!
RSR clutch. Slightly more firm than stock but dead quiet and will hold the power. Not cheap but a great solution. I've had mine for about a year and half and it is superb. :D

yea i looked it up after the guy mentioned it, i noticed that it doesn't come with a flywheel cuz its meant to work with the stock flywheel. Do you much about that? In terms of reliability? Difference between dual mass flywheel and single mass?

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
HS Tunings RSR clutch uses the OEM dual mass flywheel, a much stronger pressure plate, and an organic clutch disc. As others have said, it's been regarded as the go to solution for similar to stock feel with great holding power.

Single mass flywheel will give you quicker revs, much less rev hang, but at the expense of noise. If you're sensitive to noise, don't get a clutch with a single mass flywheel.

ECB27529

Passed Driver's Ed
With great power comes great responsibility. ...chatter is OK if it's gonna be a better system.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gino

Ready to race!
My vote is the RSR. Stage 2 Uni and it handles fine. Have had it for about a month now and still feel great. Haven't launched yet. Was able to piece together the RSR kit myself for about $650 I think. Not bad.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I'm surprised, because I've seen a lot of open clutch threads lately. Anyway, my recommendation would be to either purchase an RSR (I'm currently running the DIY version) as a dual mass flywheel option or the Sachs Stage 2 kit as a single mass flywheel option.

Not to knock BFI, but I don't know too many people who have run them. As for Southbend, I haven't heard any particularly good things about them. From what Ive heard, they tend to be very stiff and have fairly low longevity.

This is all my personal thoughts, so take that as you will.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
You can even piece out the RSR clutch like I did. Only cost me $670 plus $500 for the install and call it the day.

pamatt

Passed Driver's Ed
SB stage 3 daily. 120,000 miles all at stage 2+. It has been excellent.