GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch "squeaking" when slipped, and cold

MiteyF

Ready to race!
A few weeks ago I noticed when my engine is cold, if I slip the clutch more than just a hair (especially starting from a stop), the clutch will let out a kind of deep "squeak" or "creak" while it's slipping. Once things are warmed up a bit, it doesn't happen. It doesn't seem to chatter at all and is not slipping. It does seem to have gotten a bit louder over the last few weeks since I noticed it. I had the car in to the dealership yesterday for an oil change (only because it was free), and talked to one of the techs. He suggested it may be a mount or similar, but we agreed it shouldn't be a glazed clutch as it only happens when cold. At first I thought it might be the brakes from the hill-hold, but it also happens on flat ground.

Any ideas from the group?

king1138

Go Kart Champion
Your throw out bearing is failing. It is a very common issue on factory throw out bearings. I recommend doing at least the clutch while you're in there, maybe also the rear main seal.

MiteyF

Ready to race!
I considered a throwout bearing, but it only makes the noise while the clutch is in the friction zone, and only does it when you slip the clutch a bit... even then, it's only sometimes, when cold. This is the only car I've ever purchased a warranty for (stay at home dad who now no longer has time to work on his DD, nor time for it to be down for maintenance).

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
A TOB squeak noise does not mean it is necessarily failing. These cars did do it new and so did the mK5 it was a common thing. Bad bearings will get louder with heat