GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Accessport Malfunction

ChefKoyl14

So I purchased a Cobb Accessport for my Mk6 GTi and I installed it onto my car and when I go to turn on my car it runs fine for about 5-10 seconds and then starts to make weird noises almost likes it’s bogging down or like stuttering. So I turned off the engine and looked up other people installing it and I can’t seem to find anybody experiencing the same issue. I tried flashing back to stock/stage0 but it does the samething. If anybody can help me out or if you’ve experienced the same issue can you tell me what u did to fix it or is my car done for cause I have no clue what to do.

ChefKoyl14

Are you sure its the accessport? Is the CEL one? Did you scan it for codes?
My car has never made this sound before until I installed the AP the entire car is stock besides a Cobb Catback exhaust. I installed the stage 1 91 octane. I just scanned for codes and there was none. Idk what you mean by the CEL one. Thanks for replying and trying to help I’ve been looking everywhere to see if people have the same issue and can’t find anything.

ChefKoyl14

My car has never made this sound before until I installed the AP the entire car is stock besides a Cobb Catback exhaust. I installed the stage 1 91 octane. I just scanned for codes and there was none. Idk what you mean by the CEL one. Thanks for replying and trying to help I’ve been looking everywhere to see if people have the same issue and can’t find anything.
I also just unistalled the AP from my car and it’s still making the same sound.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It's bogging down while idling? Have you driven it? Any issues driving, still does it after it's warmed up?

Not sure what exactly the issue is but trying to get more info. It could be something else that just happened coincidentally when you flashed. Ultimately can you contact Cobb for support?

ChefKoyl14

It's bogging down while idling? Have you driven it? Any issues driving, still does it after it's warmed up?

Not sure what exactly the issue is but trying to get more info. It could be something else that just happened coincidentally when you flashed. Ultimately can you contact Cobb for support?
I haven’t ran it passed the sound cause it sounds really bad nor have I driven it yet. I think it’s having a hard time idling.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Understood, but you're going to have to some diagnostic at least revving it up or going around the block slow to try to sort it. Or else just load it on a tow truck to a shop. Sucks man, I hate that when you just do something simple and then major problems.

Happens all the time, I changed my Cam Follower (literally as easy as changing oil) and then suddenly I lost 5 psi of boost. Still trying to figure it out. Part of what makes cars fun. lol

quaalude

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you updated the Cobb Accessport firmware using Accessport Manager software from Cobb Tuning? Also download the latest maps. If you flashed it back to stock and it’s making the same noise, you probably had an underlying issue that finally arose like Thumper1 said. What year is your car and mileage?

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
I know you have uninstalled the AP but when flashing a new tune my car has ALWAYS made that noise after the flash but settles out.

ChefKoyl14

I figured out it’s building boost while idling so if anyone knows what could cause that or what to fix cause I’m not revving it or anything just letting it idle.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure building boost at idle isn't even possible on a car. Do you mean you see your boost gage fluctuating along with RPM? Tbh your symptoms just sound like a vacuum leak with misfires. The PCV is the most common culprit, it can blow any time and cause a huge vac leak and misfires. I have a hunch your problem was totally a coincidence to appear right after you start the car after flashing your tune. One way to tell if the diaphragm is bad on the PCV is to feel the pinhole on the right side of the circular cap while car is running. If it's sucking air its a blown diaphragm It can fail in other ways too there's an internal valve. The flapper arm popping out of the early design intake manifold is also a common vac leak area. Still no codes or check engine light?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure building boost at idle isn't even possible on a car. Do you mean you see your boost gage fluctuating along with RPM?

Yeah, not sure how that could even possible happen. Now on the new electric turbos I could see it, an electrical malfunction spinning the turbo, but on a traditional snail powered off exhaust? Yeah, no.

Something is leaking for sure, there HAS to be a code for something.

xMinimalistic

If the engine is cold, it will bog down after flashing any tune with cobb. You just have to let the car work itself out, after that she'll idle as normal.

Theocdgamer

I have been told it's the map on the tuner. it thinks you have installed a bigger diameter housing on your intake. you have to install the cobb maps that are made for the stock mass air .. so I have read and been told. I just got the AP two days ago and mine is doing the same and that's the only fix I have seen not tried it yet at work right now I will try and link the info I found