GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover Install - Front Passenger

Abezethibod

Hey guys!

I've already got the old shocks out of the strut and tower and the new coilover shock in...

I'm having a TON of trouble getting the strut lined up to the shock because of 2 problems:
1. The axel won't go down further for me to line it up with it still in the rotor, therefore making it too high to get under and around the shock
2. If I detach the axel and control arm, I have to move the axel out of the way so I can line it up. The problem with that is, I can line the shock up but can't get the axel back behind the rotor because the brake line is then in the way.

I feel like I've tried every damn thing to get it on. Some sort of walk through for the PASSENGER SIDE specifically would be awesome.

Anyone with an idea, help me out.

Thanks,
Ryan

2013 Candy White Golf GTI - Atlanta, GA

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Try this. Put 2x4 wood to push up old shock with jack.
13889541739_1575c8f79e_b.jpg

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Hey guys!

I've already got the old shocks out of the strut and tower and the new coilover shock in...

I'm having a TON of trouble getting the strut lined up to the shock because of 2 problems:
1. The axel won't go down further for me to line it up with it still in the rotor, therefore making it too high to get under and around the shock
2. If I detach the axel and control arm, I have to move the axel out of the way so I can line it up. The problem with that is, I can line the shock up but can't get the axel back behind the rotor because the brake line is then in the way.

I feel like I've tried every damn thing to get it on. Some sort of walk through for the PASSENGER SIDE specifically would be awesome.

Anyone with an idea, help me out.

Thanks,
Ryan

Rotate the knuckle and line the strut up on the edge of the knuckle. Rotate until the knuckle forces the strut to compress.

It'll take some fiddling to get it to line up but its much easier than removing the axle.

Abezethibod

Got it guys!
All I did was take the driver-side sway end link off the shock and it gave me enough wiggle room to fit the strut up under my new coilover!

Thank you all for awesome advice !

Abezethibod

So I've got an issue... I've got the front two installed but what I've noticed, every time I turn the wheel at a stop, left or right, there's a certain thumping/clicking sound coming from under me...

Keep in mind, everything that I un-bolted was the axel from the rotor, sway bar end link from the shock, and the lower control arm.

Some one please help me out!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Usually a noise like that is from the bearing because the spring is binding...did you replace those?

What coilovers and what parts did you replace/use when you installed them?

Abezethibod

Usually a noise like that is from the bearing because the spring is binding...did you replace those?

What coilovers and what parts did you replace/use when you installed them?
Sorry I'm getting at you so late.

I got a mirror and a light and looked under there while my buddy turned the wheel.

It was the 3 bolts that connect the rotor to the lower control arm. I thought I had tightened them last night but remembered I only finger-tightened them and it was making a little thud noise as it popped up a tad out of the control arm.

Lesson learned, make sure you tighten all your nuts and bolts!!