GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Start Squeal

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Noticed a squealing sound on cold starts and acceleration for awhile. I was told this was "normal" by the dealer and it was the turbo. Last week I decided to get a downpipe, CAI, GFB DV, and Stage II software. I immediately had a few problems and had to get new coil packs and spark plugs. After that it was running alright but was still throwing P0101, P2188, and occasionally a misfire. I figured it was either a leak somewhere or the MAF so I decided to replace the sensor. Everything is back to normal and no codes since. I'm still wondering what the squealing sound is though. It no longer does this on acceleration, only cold start up. In the video below the sounds starts at 5 seconds and ends shortly after. Seems to be coming from around/below the MAF, any ideas? Start up seems a bit rough n general.

http://youtu.be/qkGqvtZBaac

Last edited:

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
The timing chain is on the left side of the engine though. This is coming from the right side. I wouldn't think the chain or the tensioner could make a squealing sound.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
Its not even a chain sound, thats more like a rattle. I would like to think its actually the belt on the water pump. Try to spray some grease on it (its tough, but doable) and see if it doesn´t go away for some time. It will come back though.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
The squealing started before I changed the down pipe so I don't think that started it. It does seem a bit loud and rough in the beginning though but after the minute warm up it becomes quieter and smoother. Is that normal on other GTIs? My MK5 wasn't like that but this is a TSI.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
is your car CBFA? if it is, it's the Secondary Air Injection to help with emissions.

EDIT: just noticed you're also in SoCal, so it's most likely the SAI. also check the connection for your SAI filter to make sure there isn't a leak. That could possibly causing the squeal.

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
What else is that belt connected to? Sound seems to be around hpfp/MAF area. I'll start it in stock mode tomorrow morning.

The belt goes from the front side balance shaft to the water pump, nothing else. Its right down under the intake manifold over by the Hpfp.

Just not sure, it doesn´t really sound like a belt BELT sound, and it doesn´t really have a metallic cling to it either. My best bet would be to take a screwdriver and get someone else to start the car cold and point the sharp end to the hpfp pump and the flat end to your ear. It would indicate if it comes from that area.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think its the SAI filter. It's tight and sucks air like a champ throughout the minute start up. After looking up the entire SAI system and where it goes, it seems like it could be the SAI pump. Looks like I'll be doing some more investigation this holiday weekend. Found this post from Fordson on the forums.

"The valve (used to call it a Kombi valve) that routes air flow from the secondary air injection pump has gone bad, it has allowed exhaust flow into the pump, and since that brings a bunch of condensation in with it when it cools, your SAI pump is now toast. You need a new valve and SAI pump"

Vladimir

Easy rider
I have the same thing.
Sometimes it sounds on a cold start, sometimes on a warm.
squeel sound. I am on APR stg.1.
Waterpump you say?

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Anybody know the best way to test the secondary air combi valve? If I take off the wire harnesses from the valve and the air pump, will the valve remain shut during the warming cycle?

Last edited: