GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Reservoir Leak

Shoehat

Ready to race!
Somehow the coolant reservoir developed a tiny pinhole leak, that orange circle in the picture

Has this happened to anyone?

Guess I'm replacing the reservoir. Haven't found a DIY yet but how hard could it be? Any advice?

fwiw, according to Dashcommand coolant temps were 205 - 210 while driving around today in 90 degree weather.

Shoehat

Ready to race!
I am the king of unpopular posts.
Got a sweet new amazon reservoir, install was easy, all is good.

GOODS

Ready to race!
Nice!

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
man, for a 2010, that's a shitty looking reservoir.. the plastic will yellow and get brittle / crack over time, but I wouldn't expect it in that short a time

Shoehat

Ready to race!
really odd, i've never seen that happen before.

My theory;

I've driven up the steepest street in Los Angeles at least four times a week (Loma Vista) for the past five years. When I get to the top and park I noticed (just recently) the coolant flowing back into the reservoir and splashing the container right where the tiny hole happens to be.

Coincidence?

I think not.

What's your opinion?

I'd like to know.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
man, for a 2010, that's a shitty looking reservoir.. the plastic will yellow and get brittle / crack over time, but I wouldn't expect it in that short a time
This. I have a '12 with 85k miles but the reservoir doesn't look nearly this bad. Something else is wrong.
My theory;

I've driven up the steepest street in Los Angeles at least four times a week (Loma Vista) for the past five years. When I get to the top and park I noticed (just recently) the coolant flowing back into the reservoir and splashing the container right where the tiny hole happens to be.

Coincidence?

I think not.

What's your opinion?

I'd like to know.
The return line feeds into a bucket which overflows back into the reservoir so as not to cause bubbles and frothing. Recirculation is tamed by design. If you're getting coolant flowing back from the coolant circuit where the coolant is supposed to be drawn in from the reservoir, the coolant would look as though it were splashing up against the side up to that spot.

I bet you have a coolant circuit issue. I bet that your hot coolant isn't flowing into the radiator but back into the reservoir, ageing the plastic and causing that degredation.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
To the guys complaining about how it looks, the 2010s reservoir is a bit more yellow out of the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KunsTwerk

Strange...similar crack on mine. Noticed it after taking it to the dealer for a oil change. Disregard the overfilled engine coolant reservoir. Don't know why they do it. Time to drain some out...

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_1img_3046.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_1img_3046.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 457

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Strange...similar crack on mine. Noticed it after taking it to the dealer for a oil change. Disregard the overfilled engine coolant reservoir. Don't know why they do it. Time to drain some out...

i just noticed some coolant on my garage floor also.....was worried it was the water pump on my 2010 GTI with original water pump and 40K miles on it

but after thorough investigation i noticed some dried out coolant on the coolant reservoir....

where can i get a CHEAP replacement??

thx

Jemin_G

Go Kart Newbie
i just noticed some coolant on my garage floor also.....was worried it was the water pump on my 2010 GTI with original water pump and 40K miles on it

but after thorough investigation i noticed some dried out coolant on the coolant reservoir....

where can i get a CHEAP replacement??

thx
I had a similar issue last summer. After a new cap and hose failed to fix the leak, I bought a new tank from RockAuto. Problem solved. Check out rockauto.com if you need one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk