GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost of new engine

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I like my car enough that if the engine went I’d also have a new one installed. In the process I’d probably upgrade a few things though, it would be nice if I could bump the redline to 7000 RPMs, or a touch higher if the bottom end could do it.

Sorry to hear that yours went at a relatively low odometer reading.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
So you got a new engine? If so what did it wind up costing?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I like my car enough that if the engine went I’d also have a new one installed. In the process I’d probably upgrade a few things though, it would be nice if I could bump the redline to 7000 RPMs, or a touch higher if the bottom end could do it.

I believe the engine can redline to 7k with stock components, just takes a tune to move the limiter up.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Don't really know about TSI motors but on my FSI motor I removed the balance shafts, put in a Fluidampr, when building my new motor and this is supposed to allow an 8K rpm redline. I have not tested this yet as my car is not quite finished.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Nice, thanks for the info!

I thought I had read somewhere that it could be spun a bit higher than the stock rev limiter, but I wasn’t sure what would be safe over the long term. I’ve been running it to just under the stock limiter every day in first and second gear for years now so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

NYGTIChris

I just threw a timing tensioner just went and I'm at 100306 about i have a 2011 gti I'm unsure how rough it will be on my wallet so if I could get a break down of what yours ran you.

Coop8891

So my engine cost $4100 for a long block and then labor brought it to $6000 at my shop. I had a new clutch installed and the labor they did to look into everything before we figured out I needed a new engine brought it all to $7.5kish

Thumper

Autocross Champion