GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crackle/Pops&Bangs tune harmful for the engine?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Reminds me of the South Park episode with the Harley riders.........lol

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
A part of me feels like the sound of the car should match the performance.

Stock - stock exhaust
Stage 1 - resonator delete or CBE
Stage 2 - Down pipe adds enough added sound
K04 - Then maybe add some crackles and pops

On the other hand if you have a car that is not the fastest but you can make it sound good that certainly can add to the driving pleasure (I'm talking from previous Honda ownership). Yeah people probably laughed at my slow ass Honda but I enjoyed the added sound so whatever.
nothing beats a sleeper... more fast, more quiet ;-)

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Crackle tune might increase your EGT momentarily but not enough to hurt anything. The worst it could really do is foul your cat with unburned fuel; you'll be getting lower fuel economy anyway.

synthetikv

Ready to race!
I went IE Stage 2 so I had the option of crackles or not. Most tunes that offer crackles will offer you with/without.

That said, I figured F it and enabled crackles. And I absolutely love them. With the DSG tune paired up if I put the car in D I don't get crackles under normal driving. In S they're subtle unless I'm hammering on the car. They do kinda overpower other turbo noises so I may disable them at some point just to actually compare, but it's been a few months and I haven't wanted to disable them at all.

My setup: 13 GTI, IE Stage 2 93 tune, IE DSG tune, CTS Intake, CTS Catted DP, Stock Catback, GFB DV+

If your tune has the option see for yourself. You might like them, you might hate it.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Crackle tune might increase your EGT momentarily but not enough to hurt anything. The worst it could really do is foul your cat with unburned fuel; you'll be getting lower fuel economy anyway.
I dot care if they discovered it was good for your car and magically self cured the motor.
It. Still. Sounds. Like. Shit. Or somethings
Wrong with your car..

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
I dot care if they discovered it was good for your car and magically self cured the motor.
It. Still. Sounds. Like. Shit. Or somethings
Wrong with your car..

💯

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The worst it could really do is foul your cat with unburned fuel
Heh yeah, what's a $1000+ destroyed part and failed inspections when your car can go bang bang!! And pop pop!!!

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Heh yeah, what's a $1000+ destroyed part and failed inspections when your car can go bang bang!! And pop pop!!!
If you're running an aftermarket downpipe, this isn't really a concern; there's no point to a pops + bangs tune on a stock downpipe anyway.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If you're running an aftermarket downpipe, this isn't really a concern; there's no point to a pops + bangs tune on a stock downpipe anyway.
you right

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Just route the downpipe up and into the a/c vents. Gives you the loud engine noise you want and all the pops/bangs, but doesn't annoy anyone else on the road since it's isolated to the cabin. Plus you get free naps if you drive long enough.

VW Soundaktor 2.0