GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CT’s fmic conversion to bi cooler?

ACE2

Ready to race!
Has anyone successfully turned a cts fmic into a bi cooler? Basically just looking for the piping that would make this work. I know I know full location is better but I already own the cts and have it installed so this seems to be a cheaper option to find piping to fit. There’s plenty of 3rd party options but I’m trying to find someone that can confirm it’s fitment if possible

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Has anyone successfully turned a cts fmic into a bi cooler? Basically just looking for the piping that would make this work. I know I know full location is better but I already own the cts and have it installed so this seems to be a cheaper option to find piping to fit. There’s plenty of 3rd party options but I’m trying to find someone that can confirm it’s fitment if possible
I'd be happy to debate whether the stock location is better if you want to.

I think the issue you may encounter with using the CTS FMIC as a bicooler is the location of the inlet/outlets are on the bottom of the end tanks and on the Majesty/G-Plus bicoolers they are on the upper portion of the end tank. The bicooler hoses are shaped to have an upward path, and you'd need them straighter. You might be able to pull it off with the ARM bicooler hoses. Of course, cutting the hoses to change the orientation is an option and that should get the job done. I'm doing this with the Neuspeed FMIC, although the locations of the inlet/outlet are not as far down.

ACE2

Ready to race!
I'd be happy to debate whether the stock location is better if you want to.

I think the issue you may encounter with using the CTS FMIC as a bicooler is the location of the inlet/outlets are on the bottom of the end tanks and on the Majesty/G-Plus bicoolers they are on the upper portion of the end tank. The bicooler hoses are shaped to have an upward path, and you'd need them straighter. You might be able to pull it off with the ARM bicooler hoses. Of course, cutting the hoses to change the orientation is an option and that should get the job done. I'm doing this with the Neuspeed FMIC, although the locations of the inlet/outlet are not as far down.
Yea after some research I noticed a lot of the hoses out there are definitely different shaped due to the cts opening being where they are. Idk if I can’t find a way to do it, I might just get a full location replacement. I’ll see if I can find something close like the arm one to try out. I don’t mind cutting and making it work but I just want to find one somewhat close to where I need it so it’s not a lot of modifying

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
From looking at pics they look similar length, however the CTS inlets/outlets are at the bottom and slightly angled opposed to the being at the top on the Chinese twin cooler kit like I have. Idk if this will cause a weird kink or if you can flip the CTS intercooler upside down. The hoses on the Chinese kits often come a bit long so you have some excess to play with though so it might still work not sure.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
What are you trying to address by making it into a bicooler?
Ya from what ive read on the forums around here it seems like both FMIC only or a Twin cooler w/stock intercooler perform pretty similarly. Anything is better than stock at least.

ACE2

Ready to race!
What are you trying to address by making it into a bicooler?
I just figured running a twin setup would make car run better in Texas heat but I could be wrong lol I already have the cts installed and it runs about 10 deg above temps but after a bit on hot days it definitely gets closer to 20 above (around this mark so far). I’m installing a vortex this week and figured I’d try anything I could to make run that much better after install

ACE2

Ready to race!
From looking at pics they look similar length, however the CTS inlets/outlets are at the bottom and slightly angled opposed to the being at the top on the Chinese twin cooler kit like I have. Idk if this will cause a weird kink or if you can flip the CTS intercooler upside down. The hoses on the Chinese kits often come a bit long so you have some excess to play with though so it might still work not sure.
Good to know, i appreciate the feedback on that

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I just figured running a twin setup would make car run better in Texas heat but I could be wrong lol I already have the cts installed and it runs about 10 deg above temps but after a bit on hot days it definitely gets closer to 20 above (around this mark so far). I’m installing a vortex this week and figured I’d try anything I could to make run that much better after install
If you plan to operate at or above 30 psi I think the bicooler option will be helpful. Alone the pressure drop of the CTS FMIC is in the lower range of ones I've measured. It cools decently, but you'll get a couple extra psi at the compressor outlet to meet the target boost pressure.

ACE2

Ready to race!
If you plan to operate at or above 30 psi I think the bicooler option will be helpful. Alone the pressure drop of the CTS FMIC is in the lower range of ones I've measured. It cools decently, but you'll get a couple extra psi at the compressor outlet to meet the target boost pressure.
Yea i have eqt lpfp, mpi kit, and sensors with my vortex XL (among other supporting mods) so hoping to push it a little with boost