GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Curtain call

rich337

Ready to race!
Congrats!!

I'm thinking about swapping my daily GTI for a BRZ. I finally drove one yesterday and agree 100% with your assessment. The driving position and overall visibility reminded me of early Datsun Zs, making the experience feel even more connected. I was ready to hate the interior, but it's really not that bad. The only thing that bugged me was the hollow feeling plastic "slab" across the dash.

The car felt surprisingly raw, in sharp contrast to most modern cars these days. I was pleasantly surprised by the on/off clutch, short throws that reminded of my S2000, and rigidity of the chassis. The steering gave so much feedback and control, without being twitchy like an Evo 8/9. Sure it's not that fast, but I had a hoot just buzzing around town :D

Mantooth

Ready to race!
That's weird youtube review you posted. :)

Yea the trick is that its not a real review. If you go in expecting comedy with some car review than it gets a little bit more understandable.

I'll post wheel pics if when I get them on the car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mantooth

Ready to race!
Congrats!!

I'm thinking about swapping my daily GTI for a BRZ. I finally drove one yesterday and agree 100% with your assessment. The driving position and overall visibility reminded me of early Datsun Zs, making the experience feel even more connected. I was ready to hate the interior, but it's really not that bad. The only thing that bugged me was the hollow feeling plastic "slab" across the dash.

The car felt surprisingly raw, in sharp contrast to most modern cars these days. I was pleasantly surprised by the on/off clutch, short throws that reminded of my S2000, and rigidity of the chassis. The steering gave so much feedback and control, without being twitchy like an Evo 8/9. Sure it's not that fast, but I had a hoot just buzzing around town :D

Agree about the dashboard. Feels cheap.

They have kits to take a good amount of the silver and black plastic trim out for alcantera. That sounds like it might be a mod for the future.

Getting the limited model did wonders for the interior. The auto climate is great but the added sophistication it brings steps up the feel of the cabin.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the car man... Not a fan of the BRZ but I can see why people like it. I still consider getting an S2k for RWD fun in Socal maybe one day

Mantooth

Ready to race!
Congrats on the car man... Not a fan of the BRZ but I can see why people like it. I still consider getting an S2k for RWD fun in Socal maybe one day

If I could have gotten an s2k that wasn't beaten/modded to death for less than what this new car cost me I may have done that.

Prices for decent ones are crazy.

Mantooth

Ready to race!
RWD and snow :yikes:

Take it easy!

Not so bad - just can't get comfy or cocky. My rule has been to only ask the tires to do one thing at a time: brake, accelerate, turn - one at a time.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
See, it's not your "curtain call", we luv u longtime and the BRZ. Anything you post about it is most welcome, esp. pics of those cars. Even stock they remind me of the old Datsun cars. Thank God Toyota went through with the Type 86.

rich337

Ready to race!
Agree about the dashboard. Feels cheap.

They have kits to take a good amount of the silver and black plastic trim out for alcantera. That sounds like it might be a mod for the future.

Getting the limited model did wonders for the interior. The auto climate is great but the added sophistication it brings steps up the feel of the cabin.

:thumbup:

Mantooth

Ready to race!
See, it's not your "curtain call", we luv u longtime and the BRZ. Anything you post about it is most welcome, esp. pics of those cars. Even stock they remind me of the old Datsun cars. Thank God Toyota went through with the Type 86.

Aw shucks, thanks! I suppose it was really a curtain call for MY vee dub

I'll be keeping this thread updated with my BRZ adventures and pics. If I start a new thread I'll link it over.

Anyway, I plan on auto crossing with people I met through this forum come spring so I'll be burning rubber and gasoline with GTIs for the foreseeable future ?

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
No engine and power-train mods this time around. Wheels/Tires, pads, and fluid for the track is going to be about as far as I go.

That's basically where I'm at right now. Fun car at the track with just those mods. What are you thinking in terms of tires and pads?

Also have you seen Vishnu's header + tune combo for our cars? It's about $1k, but made 190 whp on a dynojet. Should put those S2000s within reach. :)

Mantooth

Ready to race!
That's basically where I'm at right now. Fun car at the track with just those mods. What are you thinking in terms of tires and pads?

Also have you seen Vishnu's header + tune combo for our cars? It's about $1k, but made 190 whp on a dynojet. Should put those S2000s within reach. :)

Well I just got the wheel portion squared away! Going to snag some 17 x 8 Gold OZ Ultras from a craigslist bro on Saturday. No idea on rubber yet but I plan to put it to good use so I may go a little more on lifespan than grip.

Is the Vishnu the open flash tab and header? That seems to be pretty popular.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Well I just got the wheel portion squared away! Going to snag some 17 x 8 Gold OZ Ultras from a craigslist bro on Saturday. No idea on rubber yet but I plan to put it to good use so I may go a little more on lifespan than grip.

Is the Vishnu the open flash tab and header? That seems to be pretty popular.

Nice always loved the OZ Ultras. Great price/weight.

And yeah Vishnu is OFT + OFH. I'm considering that combo myself atm, or FT86SF's catted header. The gains are temping on both.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Chris, you will love the added benefit of the unsprung weight loss on those wheels. My summer wheels are 18 ultraleggeras (18 or 19lbs I believe) and were a HUGE change from 29lb reps. You're 17's are like 15 or 16lbs I think. Will be awesome for track use with the BRZ

Mantooth

Ready to race!
Chris, you will love the added benefit of the unsprung weight loss on those wheels. My summer wheels are 18 ultraleggeras (18 or 19lbs I believe) and were a HUGE change from 29lb reps. You're 17's are like 15 or 16lbs I think. Will be awesome for track use with the BRZ

I'm pretty excited about the weight. It won't be as dramatic for me on the BRZ (20.1 stock to 17) but should be a lot of fun either way.

I can't believe how heavy those Detroits and Lagunas are!