GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom EVOMS intake install (with added insulation)

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Hey, I think it's a great thing that you did... it's definitely fun to figure out your own solutions. Yes, it may not be the best-looking one, but it's definitely one-of-a-kind untangled!

However, I would have been more impressed if you did the whole thing with gold Kapton film. ;)

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Anyway...if I had wanted Carbonio, Forge, or anything else, I'd have just bought it.

Ok Bob, how much did you end up spending on your EVOMS + the Home Depot shopping spree??

Is it that much less than a real Carbonio? Just askin'.

I'm sorry to be critical, but I just can't help it. I'm an engineer and I have empathy for the VW engineers who designed our cars and somehow I don't think they would approve of your handywork, although I'm sure 'Click and Clack' would approve...or not?

PS: What happens when the tape eventually lets go from heat + moisture + vibration + air pressure??? Those insulation pieces are electrically conductive yes/no???

untangle

Ready to race!
Hey, I think it's a great thing that you did... it's definitely fun to figure out your own solutions. Yes, it may not be the best-looking one, but it's definitely one-of-a-kind untangled!

However, I would have been more impressed if you did the whole thing with gold Kapton film. ;)

I could paint it gold, maybe...or do you think the insulation stuff could be anodized?

Bob

Last edited:

jerm

Ready to race!
This does give people other options to consider. It's postings like this that contribute, expand ideas, and provide value to our forums.

To me, this is good stuff Bob! Thanks! :w00t:

untangle

Ready to race!
I'm an engineer and I have empathy for the VW engineers who designed our cars and somehow I don't think they would approve of your handywork

You're kidding, right? Is that the metric we should all be shooting for - to do mods that they'd approve of? Like slamming the cars to the frame? Really big turbos? Blackened windows to go with the Xenons? 400HP? Shorting wires on the ECU?

What happens when the tape eventually lets go from heat + moisture + vibration + air pressure???

Quite valid. I'll probably have moved on to something else by then.

This is a HOBBY, guys! My GTI engine bay is not a shrine.

Those insulation pieces are electrically conductive yes/no???

Um...and I should care why?

Look...I realize that this work is easy to make fun of. I'm cool with that.

But there is precious little 'true innovation' on the GTI forums. Maybe some in VAG-COM.

Most of the rest is picking out artful sets of $1000 mods to bolt on, and then coming up with elaborate rationalizations as to why this set is innovative and superior.

I think that there could be more to the enjoyment of my cars.

[I'm a graduate-level engineer with an Ivy league education - who cares?]

Bob

heartcoke

Ready to race!
In truth, I'm not 100% against this. I like the thought process you went through to get to this point. Function over form, I can respect that.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
I like the thought process you went through to get to this point. Function over form, I can respect that.

Me too, sorta.

Bob,

I respect that you obviously went through alot of work. It's just curious why you didn't just get an intake that came with an enclosed 'box' to begin with. Seems that it would have been alot simpler, but it's your car of course. IMO as an engineer, the longevity AND the aesthetics should be part of any solution. ;)

P

plac

i always like your threads, because its like reading a story.

You get a:

untangle

Ready to race!
curious why you didn't just get an intake that came with an enclosed 'box' to begin with. Seems that it would have been alot simpler

I agree.

But I wasn't sure whether I wanted a closed box or not. I'm still not sure.

This way, I can try both for the cost of $20. And I can easily go back-and-forth as I build up the engine.

The silver monster is not (necessarily) an endpoint.

Bob

P

plac

on topic, if the Carbonio had a better mounting design i would buy it again. anyone thats ever researched that intake knows what i am referring to. likewise, if AWE changes their intake to utilize stock MAF position i would buy that one. double-likewise, if K&N adapted their Euro-GTI-intake to bolt up to the intake duct, i would buy that one.

still waiting for a response from Injen about their new GTI intake..

honkbruno

Ready to race!
Hmmm, this is giving me an idea...... Yes, that's it! I could make my own version of the Forge Twintake, but out of coffee cans. And I'll call it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

The Folgers Twintake!

Brilliant!

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm, this is giving me an idea...... Yes, that's it! I could make my own version of the Forge Twintake, but out of coffee cans. And I'll call it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

The Folgers Twintake!

Brilliant!

Do it. Nothing like a good cup of Folgers in the morning. ;)