GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cylinder 1 misfire? Not coil pack or spark plug...

jsmith823

So I have an issue going on that, I think, is caused by a stuck injector. 2011 GTI with the updated timing tensioner and a recent (this year) carbon cleaning. 136k miles.

Driving down the road, not hard just cruising, and suddenly had a bad misfire. Pulled off almost immediately and shut the car down. After about 15 seconds, thinking it was maybe a fluke, I restarted it. It struggled but fired up, still bad misfire and CEL. Shut it down and it would restart. The battery was dead.

I had it towed home and attempted some troubleshooting today. I’ve had trouble with my battery for a while, so I put a new one in thinking a voltage drop could have caused the misfire. Nope. Then I tried swapping the cylinder 1 and 2 coil-packs without any success. So I pulled the number one spark plug and it was fouled with gas. I could also see gasoline in top of the piston that would slosh around when I rocked the car forward and back. Swapped the spark plug from cyl 1 into number 2 and still had cyl 1 misfire.

So now I’m going to have it towed to the shop on Monday. If it’s a bad injector I don’t want to have to pull the intake and a bunch of other crap to work on it. My questions are:

Wouldn’t a bad injector cause a code?
What’s the likelihood that I’ve screwed my rings on that piston with a fuel wash?

Thanks y’all! I’ve been a lurker for a while but signed up because of this issue. This is the first major problem I’ve had with the car in 3 years and 30k miles.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hello I also had this issue. Bad misfire, gas in cylinder, no other codes at first but after a while got a low fuel pressure code. It was a stuck fuel open injector, replaced injector fixed everything. Somewhat common on the TSI