GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
congrats on the tune, you're going to love that HPA puck once that's in. That after a tune, lightweight wheels with good rubber, rear sway bar, is the next most effective, total dynamic changing thing you can do to the MK6 platform

Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to getting the HPA puck on. The rear sway bar I have on (22mm H&R) already has made a huge difference. I would definitely love to get a set of lightweight wheels with good summer tires, but the sets I'd want are pretty expensive.

I love the Enkei RS05RRs, but at $500 a wheel it's a little out of my budget lol. For that kind of money I'd throw some nice tires on my stock Serrons and go K04 haha.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I've been having an issue with my shift knob lately. it seems that the weight of the knob has been forcing the set screws in the adapter to fail after some shifting. The screws themselves are held with loctite, so what actually happens is th adapter rocks causing the holes for the screws to bored themselves out. I contacted the guys over at Raceseng, and they were kind enough to send me the newest revision of the adapter (with larger screws) to see if that fixes the problem. I love the knob itself, but this adapter issue is really pretty annoying. I grabbed another (non-weighted) knob at a great price in case I can't get the Raceseng knob to work for me, but we'll see what happens.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
I've been having an issue with my shift knob lately. it seems that the weight of the knob has been forcing the set screws in the adapter to fail after some shifting. The screws themselves are held with loctite, so what actually happens is th adapter rocks causing the holes for the screws to bored themselves out. I contacted the guys over at Raceseng, and they were kind enough to send me the newest revision of the adapter (with larger screws) to see if that fixes the problem. I love the knob itself, but this adapter issue is really pretty annoying. I grabbed another (non-weighted) knob at a great price in case I can't get the Raceseng knob to work for me, but we'll see what happens.

That's unfortunate. Touchwood, I never felt anything like this. Hope you will be able to get the issue resolved with them asap!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
That's unfortunate. Touchwood, I never felt anything like this. Hope you will be able to get the issue resolved with them asap!

I hope so too. Hyde was right in saying that this is a great setup (DG SS, Tyrolsport SSBB, Raceseng Knob), but right now I just don't feel confident in my shifting. I actually took my Dad's '08 GTI w/DSG into NYC yesterday because I just didn't want to deal with the knob rocking constantly in traffic. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this resolved.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
I hope so too. Hyde was right in saying that this is a great setup (DG SS, Tyrolsport SSBB, Raceseng Knob), but right now I just don't feel confident in my shifting. I actually took my Dad's '08 GTI w/DSG into NYC yesterday because I just didn't want to deal with the knob rocking constantly in traffic. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this resolved.

Yes, the perfect combo for our cars :thumbsup: You will get it working soon :)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

It will fix the issue for sure, the larger set screws will work fine. Make sure to tighten them snug then go around one screw at a time to incrementally tighten them more and more so each set screw has equal torque.

The DG SS, Tyrol SSBB kit and Raceseng knob is still the greatest combo. The only other thing I would add in there is a MK4 metal shift bracket, ECS 6-speed bleeder block and SS clutch line.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
It will fix the issue for sure, the larger set screws will work fine. Make sure to tighten them snug then go around one screw at a time to incrementally tighten them more and more so each set screw has equal torque.

The DG SS, Tyrol SSBB kit and Raceseng knob is still the greatest combo. The only other thing I would add in there is a MK4 metal shift bracket, ECS 6-speed bleeder block and SS clutch line.

I definitely would like to add those at some point. I think I'm mostly done for the winter (unless I see a great deal on something haha), but I definitely would like to add those in the Spring/Summer. I'd also like to rework my brakes a bit as well. They might be the weakest link on this car.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
All you need is pads, SS lines, TyrolSport brake caliper kit and a TyrolSport Master Brace = braking would be perfect.

Agreed. I'm going to work on collecting some of that stuff over the next few months. I have 30k on the OEM tires as well, so I'll probably look to get some upgraded rubber when it gets warmer as well. Should make for a much more complete car, or at least until I can afford an upgraded clutch haha.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
My dunlop sp sports went below 4/32 at only 28k. I was pretty disappointed with that considering I dont really beat on the car. The tyrol stiffening kit sounds like a good upgrade for the price from what I've read. Get it so you can give me your opinion on it lol

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
My dunlop sp sports went below 4/32 at only 28k. I was pretty disappointed with that considering I dont really beat on the car. The tyrol stiffening kit sounds like a good upgrade for the price from what I've read. Get it so you can give me your opinion on it lol

Yeah that is pretty disappointing about your tires.

I'll give the Tyrol kit a go now if you want to front some of the cost for the review haha

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
So this happened yesterday...