GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer Reaction / Handling of Stage 2 Cars?

BoomBoy

Ready to race!
I had a CEL with a DP on. I didn't have the stage 2 at this time. I went to the dealer for the oil change. They had asked me about the CEL and I explained it was from the aftermarket DP and nothing to worry about. They hadn't said a word about it afterward. They did not clear up the CEL, either.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
if you're looking for a mod friendly dealer in the chicagoland area, the mount prospect dealership works on modded cars all the time.. i know the owners son, hes a salesman there.. i have a dp and stage 1 right now, about to go stage 2 and they have already done an oil change plus work on my car under warrenty and most of the time they ask what i have done to it and what im getting done to it in the future lol

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
is that an Autobarn in mt. prospect??

Randum

Go Kart Champion
There are quite a few dealers out there that actually sell mods and/or engine flashes. The nice about the VW warranty is that you can buy your car at one dealer and then have it serviced by a different one.

Here you go. This took maybe 2 minutes.

VW/APR Dealer - City Volkswagen - http://www.cityvwchicago.net/

I doubt they will sell you a stage 1 flash, install a downpipe, flash stage 2 and then void your warranty. :w00t:

This is my VW dealer, and they know whats going on. Just as described in the thread, they are reasonable with any warranty claims. If you install an intake and mess up your turbo, its obviously your fault - but if something is wrong with the car- these guys will NOT screw you over.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
how often do intakes screw up turbos? I would not be going to that dealer then.

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
I have been writing service the last six years. I have worked with a few different brands including Harley Davidson, Subaru, Toyota, Chevy/GMC and VW. Most of the dealers were smaller places, the Toyota dealer was HUGE.

In most cases, it really depends on three things: the service consultant, the technician, and the customer.

Form a relationship with your consultant. If I have been servicing your car for the last 20k miles, I will most likely remember you. When something breaks, I WANT to help you. If you're under warranty, I WANT to warranty it. If something is sketchy, I can form a case and present it to my service manager and hopefully gt it covered. If you have never been to a dealer for anything except warranty repairs, it's much less likely we will stretch anything or help beyond the regular warranty terms. The first question an area representative will ask in regards to a "goodwill" coverage is, "Are they a good customer?" Meaning, do they come in and perform regular maintenance? Do they treat the car well?

Make sure your car is *properly* modified. Many technicians are enthusiasts. They don't want to see a brand new car with some junk mods or hacked up installs. It makes them sick. Many guys will install aftermarket parts for you, and do it the right way to boot! A nice car with actual performance or aesthetic mods will not affect a regular technician in any way. In fact, they might enjoy it. We just installed a brand new transmission in a Cobalt SS. The tech (22 years GM experience) commented that the car was "Fucking Fast!" I then pointed out the catless downpipe, K&N air filter, and the fact that the customer mentioned his Stage II reflash. He just wanted to fix the car properly and did not notice the mods before I showed him. It only needed a light internal transmission repair, but he convinced GM technical assistance to install a brand new transmission to make the repair quicker and avoid costly rental charges.

Don't be a moron! Don't make your customer complaint, "I launched it at the track and it made a loud noise and wouldn't make boost anymore." That will be recorded on your repair order! Just state the facts. "My car is seriously lacking power, it just started last night. I don't think the turbo is working." Now it just sounds like the turbo went out, which is realistic. Anything mechanical CAN, and WILL break. Don't TELL me that you broke it. Most technicians think you don't know anything about your car. That isn't a bad thing, use it to your advantage.

Don't come in with TSB's and print outs from forums about "common problems." No one likes to be told what to do. If something is a common problem, guess who knows about it? The dealer! We see the same crap over and over.

Find a dealer that you like, hopefully your selling dealer, and stick with it. You already have 3 years/36k maintenance for free! Once that runs out, keep coming in regularly. Always try to see the same service consultant so you can form a relationship. Just think of it this way, you're much more likely to help a friend than a total stranger.

By the way, I have NEVER tried to or seen anyone else try to void a warranty. Some things are not covered under warranty due to abuse or physical damage. Mods will only cause something to not be covered if they DIRECTLY caused the failure. Your turbo fails. We install a new one and realize you are tuned to run 50 PSI. This repair will NOT be covered under warranty. Is your warranty gone now? No, but THAT repair will not be covered. Need more examples? Your stock shocks are blown and you're riding on H&R super sports? Guess what? Those shocks aren't going to be covered under warranty. Why not? They aren't designed to handle springs so short/low.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I have been writing service the last six years. I have worked with a few different brands including Harley Davidson, Subaru, Toyota, Chevy/GMC and VW. Most of the dealers were smaller places, the Toyota dealer was HUGE.

In most cases, it really depends on three things: the service consultant, the technician, and the customer.

Form a relationship with your consultant. If I have been servicing your car for the last 20k miles, I will most likely remember you. When something breaks, I WANT to help you. If you're under warranty, I WANT to warranty it. If something is sketchy, I can form a case and present it to my service manager and hopefully gt it covered. If you have never been to a dealer for anything except warranty repairs, it's much less likely we will stretch anything or help beyond the regular warranty terms. The first question an area representative will ask in regards to a "goodwill" coverage is, "Are they a good customer?" Meaning, do they come in and perform regular maintenance? Do they treat the car well?

Make sure your car is *properly* modified. Many technicians are enthusiasts. They don't want to see a brand new car with some junk mods or hacked up installs. It makes them sick. Many guys will install aftermarket parts for you, and do it the right way to boot! A nice car with actual performance or aesthetic mods will not affect a regular technician in any way. In fact, they might enjoy it. We just installed a brand new transmission in a Cobalt SS. The tech (22 years GM experience) commented that the car was "Fucking Fast!" I then pointed out the catless downpipe, K&N air filter, and the fact that the customer mentioned his Stage II reflash. He just wanted to fix the car properly and did not notice the mods before I showed him. It only needed a light internal transmission repair, but he convinced GM technical assistance to install a brand new transmission to make the repair quicker and avoid costly rental charges.

Don't be a moron! Don't make your customer complaint, "I launched it at the track and it made a loud noise and wouldn't make boost anymore." That will be recorded on your repair order! Just state the facts. "My car is seriously lacking power, it just started last night. I don't think the turbo is working." Now it just sounds like the turbo went out, which is realistic. Anything mechanical CAN, and WILL break. Don't TELL me that you broke it. Most technicians think you don't know anything about your car. That isn't a bad thing, use it to your advantage.

Don't come in with TSB's and print outs from forums about "common problems." No one likes to be told what to do. If something is a common problem, guess who knows about it? The dealer! We see the same crap over and over.

Find a dealer that you like, hopefully your selling dealer, and stick with it. You already have 3 years/36k maintenance for free! Once that runs out, keep coming in regularly. Always try to see the same service consultant so you can form a relationship. Just think of it this way, you're much more likely to help a friend than a total stranger.

By the way, I have NEVER tried to or seen anyone else try to void a warranty. Some things are not covered under warranty due to abuse or physical damage. Mods will only cause something to not be covered if they DIRECTLY caused the failure. Your turbo fails. We install a new one and realize you are tuned to run 50 PSI. This repair will NOT be covered under warranty. Is your warranty gone now? No, but THAT repair will not be covered. Need more examples? Your stock shocks are blown and you're riding on H&R super sports? Guess what? Those shocks aren't going to be covered under warranty. Why not? They aren't designed to handle springs so short/low.

Good explination ka_killuh, and welcome to the forum.

JP

fredf

Go Kart Champion
That last bit of advice is great.
I think establishing a relationship with your dealer is key. My question is, how?
My 2011 is now 6 months old. It isn't going to need anything done to it until 1year when it will need its oil change.

How do I establish a relationship when there is nothing to see my dealer over... unless something goes wrong and I need a warranty repair?

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
:wosschilder980:

Happened to my last three cars, just got sucked up in there like a blender. :D

VW's or??? :confused: I've never heard that happening to anyone in the Subaru or Mitsu scenes. You don't have to worry about that with the Carbonio, right?

untangle

Ready to race!
I have been writing service the last six years

Form a relationship with your consultant.

Make sure your car is *properly* modified. Many technicians are enthusiasts. They don't want to see a brand new car with some junk mods or hacked up installs. It makes them sick.

Don't be a moron! Don't make your customer complaint, "I launched it at the track and it made a loud noise and wouldn't make boost anymore." That will be recorded on your repair order! Just state the facts. "My car is seriously lacking power, it just started last night. I don't think the turbo is working."

Don't come in with TSB's and print outs from forums about "common problems." No one likes to be told what to do.

Find a dealer that you like, hopefully your selling dealer, and stick with it.

By the way, I have NEVER tried to or seen anyone else try to void a warranty. Some things are not covered under warranty due to abuse or physical damage. Mods will only cause something to not be covered if they DIRECTLY caused the failure.

Nicely done. Welcome.

This post (esp the excerpts above) is worthy of a sticky or FAQ entry somewhere in GTI-land...

Bob