GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer uses 10w40?

NolaGTI

Ready to race!
I was about to do my 25k oil change and noticed the sticker the dealer put in my window says Castrol 10w 40. As far as I know that's not a vw approved oil? Anyone else experience this?

Could just be a typo I guess but after buying an oil filter today I'm not sure. When I asked the parts person for an oil filter she looked at me like no one had ever asked for one before. I said it was for a 2012 gti and she said is that diesel or gas? Then she had to go get someone else to help figure out which one it was, and he took a moment and even asked if I had I had my vin handy.

Bino

Go Kart Champion
5w40 here. When I change my oil at my dealer they use the same. I think that's a typo. Call the dealer when you have a chance just to make sure.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
As long as the oil is 40 or 30 weight, it's fine to use in your GTI.

I think your dealer uses 10w because it does not snow in LA, so no need for 5w cold start oil.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
yeah i know people that switch to 0w40 in the winter months when it gets colder. i think it depends on climate just as much as the vehicle itself.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
As long as the oil is 40 or 30 weight, it's fine to use in your GTI.

I think your dealer uses 10w because it does not snow in LA, so no need for 5w cold start oil.

regardless of snow or not, i never heard of 10w-40 being vw approved. 5w40 is what i would put in your car while also checking for the 502 approval on the back per vw manual.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I was about to do my 25k oil change and noticed the sticker the dealer put in my window says Castrol 10w 40. As far as I know that's not a vw approved oil? Anyone else experience this?

Could just be a typo I guess but after buying an oil filter today I'm not sure. When I asked the parts person for an oil filter she looked at me like no one had ever asked for one before. I said it was for a 2012 gti and she said is that diesel or gas? Then she had to go get someone else to help figure out which one it was, and he took a moment and even asked if I had I had my vin handy.

I think some of those "service desk" people don't have a clue about the car being service. I guess VW dealerships don't require that to be able to work there.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Santa monica vw put a quaker state sticker on my car. Hopefully they didnt use quaker state....