GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did the dealer break my clutch?

nmlhats

Passed Driver's Ed
Normally I use a private mechanic on my VWs and he's terrific. The extended warranty was about to expire on my 2013 Wolfsburg GTI, so I took it to him for a check, in case there was anything I should get the dealer to fix before the time ran out.

I already knew I needed a window switch but he also suggested having them check oil leak issue possibly related to oil he saw on turbo cut ff valve.

So I take it to the dealer, who comes up with $2K in stuff that the warranty inspector then turns down (e.g. waste gate solenoid, breather valve, timing cover, vacuum pump).

I asked the service guy to test drive my car due to the rough idle, thinking this would help with the campaign to prove the oil leak to the warranty people.

He reported back that it was really hard to shift, car rolls when clutch is depressed. They took it apart after said test drive and stated that a spring in the assembly broke just at the time he was driving it. Hmmm. I found that very strange since the clutch and shifting seemed perfectly fine until they had it. I am a middle aged woman who likes driving a manual transmission, not a teenage hot-rodder. My car has less than 34K miles on it.

I went over there on Friday to raise a stink with the service manager, who was kind of unpleasant, but also said she would contact a higher person at warranty company to try and get those covered as well as asking VW to cover part of the clutch repair.

Now the oil repairs have all been approved and VW will cover 50% of the clutch replacement.

I can't prove they somehow broke my clutch but I can't dismiss the possibility.

I am assuming that in order to get this $ from VW I have to get the repair done at the dealer. If VW would pay the mechanic, I would rather have the dealer do the warranty work and bring it to my VW mechanic for the clutch....if I can even drive the car now. (Literally stuff has been taken apart but should I make them put back together and leave?)

I don't exactly want them to know before they do all the warranty repairs that I would rather take the car away from them after that...so I also do not want to even ask them if VW will pay my mechanic instead of them in case they decide to break something else for me.

The whole clutch story sounds fishy, like they created a need for more repairs since they got the warranty to pay for the other stuff and I was not coughing up any money myself. I am on Covid unemployment so do not have a bunch of cash lying around!

I am so mad and don't know what to do!!!!!!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
A clutch could be trashed in less then 40k miles and it is possible that it broke while he was test driving it. Not likely but it is possible especially if he/she gave it the beans to see what happened (it's a GTI it should be able to handle hard driving so I wouldn't say that's abuse).

Did they ask you before taking it apart? It's really up to you how much time, money and energy you want to use up.

Since you have a trusted mechanic that you have used in the past call them and see what kinda price they can give you. Dealer rate is higher then private but they are covering all the oil issues so you might not save much towing it to your mechanic. 50% of the clutch is not bad IMO especially since they can't prove it wasn't on it's last leg and it's life is highly dependent on usage.

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yea.......clutches are wear/tear items. Not saying you wore it down, and they could have pushed it over the edge. But they can say it was mostly done anyway and needing replacing. Is it driveable? If so, maybe move it from VW to your trusted mechanic? Or, more sensible, work a deal with the VW dealer who is doing the other work; if they're covering 50% already it's probably to your benefit to let them finish the whole job.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I had a similar issue where the clutch gave out on my car with 28k miles. It wasnt driver error so when they tried to warn me the clutch is wear and tear and I called their bluff and told them to tear it down.

They tried to convince me not to do this because I would be stuck with the bill for the labor of pulling the trans and inspect etc. I said do it. I know how to drive manual and this wasnt an abused clutch.

Long story short, they found a defective pressure plate was to blame and VW gave me an entire new clutch assembly for free. Ive been on that clutch for 50K+ miles now with no issues.

The tech didnt burn your clutch up going around the block. If that was the case you would have smelled it and probably seen visible smoke when he pulled back into the dealer.

No, truth is these clutches are weak as hell and it was most likely coincidence.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Oh and my positive outcome depended alot on being courteous and understanding with the dealer. If you go in all Karen on them, youre not as likely to get much help.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Sorry this happened. IMO it is possible that the clutch wet bang as they were test driving. I don't think the dealer caused the problem. The fact they are going to fix all the issues & VW is going to pick up half the cost of the clutch is pretty great. On the clutch make sure they also replace the throw out bearing & rear main seal. If it was me I'd let them do the clutch. Good luck I hope it all goes well for you.