GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

KIX

Passed Driver's Ed
Dang they dont have it on Beige.... :-(

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered my mirror (since my windshield needs replacement anyway, kinda makes sense to do it all at the same time, right?). Free bump since I'll be using this DIY!

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered my mirror (since my windshield needs replacement anyway, kinda makes sense to do it all at the same time, right?). Free bump since I'll be using this DIY!
Hate to say this now, but if you were replacing the windsheild anyhow you could have gotten the "light sensor" windsheild and done the auto-dimming mirror, automatic windsheild wipers and automatic headlights all at one time. It would have cost a bit more, but that would have been an awesome retrofit.

either way, this is a good mod. G/L. PM me if you have any questions. :thumbsup:

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Hate to say this now, but if you were replacing the windsheild anyhow you could have gotten the "light sensor" windsheild and done the auto-dimming mirror, automatic windsheild wipers and automatic headlights all at one time. It would have cost a bit more, but that would have been an awesome retrofit.

either way, this is a good mod. G/L. PM me if you have any questions. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I haven't heard of anybody doing it yet though and I'm not positive that the mk5 jetta windshield I'd need would fit (I know that the mk6 has it in europe, but I looked into it and I can't get that windshield here). Plus the parts for the retrofit would have been several hundred more, on top of the expense for the windshield I hadn't planned on...

that and I've decided I need a new mountain bike, so a lot of my free cash is going towards that :)

jaydub1

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have an odd question (considering I don't have the car yet...) Homelink is a necessity for me, so I'll probably be doing just this. However, my question is related to the available space up there.

I'm already trying to find ways to conceal a Valentine 1 display inside the mirror. I did this with my MINI and it worked well, but I'm curious if there's enough space in the headliner to stuff in the V1 itself. I don't really care about losing laser alert, since if I get hit with that I'm caught anyway.

Thanks.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
So I have an odd question (considering I don't have the car yet...) Homelink is a necessity for me, so I'll probably be doing just this. However, my question is related to the available space up there.

I'm already trying to find ways to conceal a Valentine 1 display inside the mirror. I did this with my MINI and it worked well, but I'm curious if there's enough space in the headliner to stuff in the V1 itself. I don't really care about losing laser alert, since if I get hit with that I'm caught anyway.

Thanks.

There is not. You would also lose side and rear detection if you stuffed the V1 up there (assuming you cut up the headliner so the front detection was visible.

Check out blend mounts. (I think I posted a link above) They show a blend mount on this exact mirror. Not intigrated, but looks good.

EDIT: Here's another solution - use the stealth mirror I posted (with homelink) and install the V1 outside the car near the front grill in this protective box. You still lose rear detection, but would be a great solution:

http://www.a-bond.com/v1case.htm

Last edited:

jaydub1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the links. I've been using one of the mounts from CountryJoyCrafts for about a year now and it too has worked flawlessly. I just wish I could find a way to hide the main unit away so that I could rely on the concealed display. I did read someplace that the unit doesn't necessarily operate on line-of-sight from the radar gun, but there's no real sense in disabling the majority of the V1's usefulness in the name of stealth installation.

Thanks again!
Jay

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Order placed. We just bought a house and I'll have my first garage since I moved out of my parents house when I was 17. It seemed only appropriate to make sure I could open the garage door with my mirror :D At least, that's what I told the wife so I could make the purchase :happyanim:

jaydub1

Passed Driver's Ed
Another big thank you for this DIY. I was able to get it all installed using your directions because honestly, the ones with the mirror suck.

I took mine a step further and cut/soldered the long wire they give you because space will be limited once I mount my Valentine 1 up there. I took a few pics to document it.

After cutting, I wrapped some self-adhesive shrinkwrap tubing to the end of the wires. I just wanted it to be very clean.

Here's the ends I cut.

Got a nice, clean solder.

I shrinkwrapped each of the wires individually, then all together.

The soldered section is actually about 2" inside the headliner, so it all looks clean.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
Another big thank you for this DIY. I was able to get it all installed using your directions because honestly, the ones with the mirror suck.

I took mine a step further and cut/soldered the long wire they give you because space will be limited once I mount my Valentine 1 up there. I took a few pics to document it.

After cutting, I wrapped some self-adhesive shrinkwrap tubing to the end of the wires. I just wanted it to be very clean.

Here's the ends I cut.

Got a nice, clean solder.

I shrinkwrapped each of the wires individually, then all together.

The soldered section is actually about 2" inside the headliner, so it all looks clean.

Nice!