GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Disconnect Soundaktor

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
My soundaktor has been out for a while but I recently started thinking. What have you guys been doing about the cable. With rain coming soon I don't want some kind of short or perhaps for that wire to corrode. Did you guys put heatshrink over it?

I put a small grip seal bag over the end of it and cable tied it tight then cable tied the connector to the rest of the harness to stop rattles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poodey

Ready to race!
Just did this on my 2011 GTI, and it was a breeze. Only took 40 min, and 10 of that was spent trying to get the windshield wipers back in sync. Lot's of tighten, close hood, start car, turn on wiper, notice that they aren't in sync or in the same spot they were originally, turn off car, open hood, loosen nuts, lift wiper off spline, rotate slightly, tighten nuts, close hood, etc. But back to the main install. This is really easy if you remove the metal wall as described in aralani's post (up 3 posts). There are only 2 screws to remove it, as well as unclipping the harness from the passenger side hook on the wall piece. Then remove the 2 nuts holding the wiper arm/soundaktor. Then pull out the hanger, remove the nut holding the soundaktor to the hanger, remove the plug from the soundaktor, I used heat shrink tubing to seal the connector end from the elements. reinstall everything. Makes a huge difference, it was a silent drive into work this morning. I didn't realize that ALL of the engine sound coming into the cabin on a stock GTI is coming from that stupid little thing, I know realize that I need new tires and an alignment. Thanks soundaktor for masking the sound of slightly cupped tires.