GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY rear camera

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Got mine installed tonight. Man, that took a while. (I still need to install/source a drain tube and reinstall most of the trim; I'll do those tomorrow.)

Question, though. Is the horizontal banding here normal? Is it because it was dark out when I took the picture? I'm pretty sure everything's plugged in at the hatch and at the head unit, or else it wouldn't work at all, right?

Everything looks good. It's a wide angle lens so the horizontal band looks curved.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Everything looks good. It's a wide angle lens so the horizontal band looks curved.

Was referring to the presence of the bands at all, actually. My gut feeling is that it's normal when it's dark out and that when I get in the car tomorrow there won't be any. :)

flyguy27

Ready to race!
That looks fine to me. I temporarily installed a random drain tube and ordered the tube from ECS. I couldn't find it anywhere else. It was an easy install once the tube came in and now it looks Oem.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Yep, no banding when I left for work this morning :) Need to figure out how to remove the clips that got stuck in the door area though :(

jg167

Passed Driver's Ed
ECS's rearview camera kit

I didn't find much mention of this (not actually available yet I take it from their site). But its clearly not the VW Europe part and due to being much bigger you have to cut off a wiper motor bracket and cut out some of the body panel around the inside of the camera mount, at least if doing it to a MKV (as the instructions say, the banner page for the kit says V or VI, still it seems huge compared to the VW part, doesn't it?). In any case sawing off bits here and there seems like a bad idea if a stock part will drop in.

Looks like good instructions though: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/MK5RearViewCameraInstall.pdf

the image didn't paste in, but you can go here to see this thing.

Last edited:

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
I didn't find much mention of this (not actually available yet I take it from their site). But its clearly not the VW Europe part and due to being much bigger you have to cut off a wiper motor bracket and cut out some of the body panel around the inside of the camera mount, at least if doing it to a MKV (as the instructions say, the banner page for the kit says V or VI, still it seems huge compared to the VW part, doesn't it?). In any case sawing off bits here and there seems like a bad idea if a stock part will drop in.

Looks like good instructions though: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/MK5RearViewCameraInstall.pdf

the image didn't paste in, but you can go here to see this thing.

The sawing is only for MkV. MkVI cars don't need any metal/plastic cutting :)

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Other than Ebay, where are you guys buying the RVC kits from? I just got back from the dealership and had them try to find the 2 listed part numbers and they couldn't come up with anything saying they are for a RVC.

They said they were just for the rear latch without a camera, and an antenna cable, not a harness for the RCV.:iono:

Smoky_Llama1

Passed Driver's Ed
Other than Ebay, where are you guys buying the RVC kits from? I just got back from the dealership and had them try to find the 2 listed part numbers and they couldn't come up with anything saying they are for a RVC.

They said they were just for the rear latch without a camera, and an antenna cable, not a harness for the RCV.:iono:

This part is euro only, so us dealers most likely won't carry it. Try here...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/member.php?706803-Peter-ExtremeNetwork

carsystems.pl

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
This part is euro only, so us dealers most likely won't carry it.

Yeah, I knew it was euro only, figured it would be worth a shot though. Even told them that when I gave 'em the part #'s and they were having trouble finding them.

Oh, didn't realize Peter could get other OEM stuff as well. I got my LED tails from him. Thanks, I'll PM him and see what he says.

poissonish

Would love to have this installed on my 2011, but don't feel comfortable doing the install myself.

Anyone in Toronto area know where this can be done? I asked my dealer when I originally purchased the car, they had no idea what I was talking about.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
New to the forum here :thumbup:
I am considering purchasing a 2013 GTI w/ NAV 4DR. Would the DYI install of a rear camera adversely affect the warranty?

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
New to the forum here :thumbup:
I am considering purchasing a 2013 GTI w/ NAV 4DR. Would the DYI install of a rear camera adversely affect the warranty?

Any mod could adversely affect the warranty, but the camera is unlikely to break anything else if installed correctly. :thumbsup: