GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

... do you have to lower your car if you want 18" wheels?

VW_Chan

i see a lot of cars with 18" wheels that are also lowered. i want 18" wheels but don't really want to lower my car if i don't have to (for practical reasons).

is it because it just looks better? would i look like a noob if i didn't?

MasterKevin

Ready to race!
no you dont u only drop it if u want it to look better with less wheel gap

how could you nto want it lower :p

im on 19" and tryign to figure out how much i can lower it by :p haha

mk6 golf gti

kev

Rumble79

Ready to race!
I have lowered all my cars in the past, but I really like the comfort of the stock suspension now. I think I am getting old. I just got a set of 18"s and want to get them on the car in April to see if I NEED to lower the car. I drop it for the looks and handling, but if I do not lower the car, I will just get sway bars for the handling.

MikeW

Ready to race!
Not only do you not have to lower, lowering will likely affect your ride and handling adversely. Note that VW offers 18" wheels as an option with the stock suspension.

Now, ask yourself why you want 18" wheels?

i see a lot of cars with 18" wheels that are also lowered. i want 18" wheels but don't really want to lower my car if i don't have to (for practical reasons).

is it because it just looks better? would i look like a noob if i didn't?

VW_Chan

good to hear

i want 18" wheels just for looks (i want to add some character to my stock MK6 golf), i know there is always a trade off between comfort & looks. i'm willing to make the sacrifice cause i really like them. but i don't know if i can sacrifice comfort again by lowering the car/new suspension. i'll start with the 18" wheels and see how it goes.