GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anybody actually LIKE the noise pipe?.....(I do)

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
You don't have to do the Jetta firewall thing, right? Is that just for cosmetics?

Is it enough to just substitute the Tiguan intake for the GTI and just plug the hole in the firewall?

Whalesalad: can you clarify the issue about plugging where the Y pipe leads off to the noise maker? I have read others talk about just plugging that area rather than do the entire pipe. Others have said that you cannot safely plug it because the plug can blow and cause a lot of damage.
Is there a safe way to plug this?

I'm not going to be doing the full delete on my own (chicken here) but I might attempt a plug. I've asked a few mechanics in my area and non had done a noise maker delete. I figure a simple plug would be easiest -- IF it is safe.

Of course I would want to plug it at the Y take off and not at the firewall. The latter would be useless from a throttle/pressure built point of view.

There is a plug you can purchase that is designed to be used in this situation. I forget the user's name that makes/sells them. I'm sure someone will chime in on this though. He has had a few different versions of the plug and they all work well if installed correctly. I have the plug that is designed to be used as a stealth plug (plug installed, but noise pipe left in place)

Can someone post a pick of this pipe you guys are talking about... Because i don't think we have it here.. but wanna confirm which EXACT pipe you guys are talking about...

Noise pipe is on the left side of the engine bay, running from the front of the engine to the firewall.

If you have a non North American model (including Canada) then it doesnt have the "noise pipe"

Anyone got a sound clip of the difference?

I think you meant to say, that is DOES have the noise pipe. Everything other than North American models DO NOT have the noise pipe.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
That wouldn't be my answer. The Tiguan is a straight pipe as well, with good air flow and it is OEM .... and.... it's cheaper!
Why would you over pay Neuspeed your hard earned money?

It's not that much cheaper really (depending on where you buy it). And the Tiguan pipe will not flow as well as the Neuspeed pipe, especially with increased boost pressures (APR stage 2). I've already done the turbo outlet pipe, I will be upgrading to the S3 intercooler, so why not replace the last piece of restriction?

fredf

Go Kart Champion
There is a plug you can purchase that is designed to be used in this situation. I forget the user's name that makes/sells them. I'm sure someone will chime in on this though. He has had a few different versions of the plug and they all work well if installed correctly. I have the plug that is designed to be used as a stealth plug (plug installed, but noise pipe left in place)

Yes, that is exactly what I want.. the 'stealth plug'. No so much for the 'stealth' but because it would be a no-brainer to install. Is that what is in place in the picture you provided, because it certainly isn't visible at all.

Where did you get that plug, how much is it and can you describe the installation? It sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
There have actually been a few versions of the new plug. I have the one that fit inside the metal sleeve, so it didn't require removal. I simply tightened all the set screws down equally, 1/4 turn at a time, then reinstalled the noise pipe over it (for safety, so if the plug does blow it, it won't dent the hood/damage anything in the engine bay).

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I really like that little growl at about 2-3RPMs, if I get a downpipe at the least, and it produces a nice growl, I will consider the plug. I didn't know it would degrade performance by keeping it installed....

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I've been running with the plug for about 6k miles (over 5k on stage 1 APR tune, last 300 miles on stage 2) without any issues.

Last edited:

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
It's not unsafe. Unless you over-tighten it and crack the pipe, or under-tighten it and it pops out. I ran one in my MKV for a long time with no problems. Actually I think I left it in when I traded it.

Raven6t9 is the name of the user who makes the fancy billet plugs - I use a $3 'Help!' brand freeze-out replacement plug. Same result.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Why do you think it unsafe? I've been running with the plug for about 6k miles (over 5k on stage 1 APR tune, last 300 miles on stage 2) without any issues.

He doesn't think. He knows. He had his plug shot off and lost a few screws inside his engine.

Do it right and just replace it with a Tiguan pipe and Jetta firewall insert. That way, you don't have anything to worry about.