GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe vs Turbo Back

ataman

Ready to race!
I am sure it has been discussed before but I could not find much on it. Please point me to right direction if there is a active thread on this.

I am curious to see if getting a whole TBE is worth it or just a DP will provide majority of performance increase? I hear people saying DP makes a noticeable difference, how about DP vs TBE?

AdvanSuper

Banned
Just get a DP.

Will@R.A.I.

Ready to race!
Noise also depends on the Cat-back. Our exhaust is very refined for daily driving and really opens up when you get on it. Plus maintaining a 3in diameter through the exhaust removes all bottle necks you wouldn't be able to remove with just the downpipe.

b00stinmk6

Ready to race!
The downpipe will make your car sound louder than stock. The cat-back can be quite or loud, whatever you prefer, but will make your car sound much nicer. Performance wise, and if you're short on $$ i'd say just go for the downpipe. Plus, you're better off getting yourself like an S3 Intercooler for the price of the cat-back if your looking for bang for your buck. Check my sig for mod list.

Hope this helped

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Get a DP. It 80 plus percent of the total gain and if you want it quite then get it catted and throw in a resonator if you have a DSG to kill the braaapp sound on each shift.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you're on a budge, just get a downpipe

The stock cat-back flows really well actually and isn't that restrictive. It's the downpipe that is THE restriction.
Changing out the cat-back just changes the volume/tone/sound of the exhaust...nothing else really

So why do I have a cat-back & only Stage 1?
Well I was Stage 2, but just took the downpipe off. The exhaust sounded "tinny" on cold starts with a catless downpipe (which is expected) & the stock cat-back exhaust. So that's why I got the Magnaflow...for a deeper sound.
I like the look of the bigger exhaust tips too