GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DP stud came out of flange after nut stopped spinning.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
So due to @Joe_Mama heckling. I decided to tackle my shitty DP issue once again.

I took a saw and chopped off the already decaying DP downturn off the flange from the flange, and was able to loosen my troublesome nut. DP has officially been removed. However, one of the other nuts I originally thought I was having success with has become stuck at dickhair close to being off, and I can no longer turn the nut... instead the stud has pulled and screwed out of the flange. No breakage thankfully, but I don't have any real solid way to get the nut the rest of the way off, or the stud back in. Is there any home remedies? My best course of action is likely gonna be screwing the stud + stuck nut back onto the flange with the new DP and hoping it holds, but I wasn't sure if there were better options.

Shout out to that joe_mama's babydick havin' ass for the peptalk.

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_173502.jpg
    IMG_20220708_173502.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220708_173508.jpg
    IMG_20220708_173508.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Cut the stuck nut off with a dremel and reinstall the stud using the two nut method.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
got a link to the two stud method? I take it's it's just one right side up and one upside down?

I edited my post with a link to a video

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
alright nut is removed, but i don't think I can get two nuts deep enough (hah) on the stud to replant it back on the flange. I'm using two of the older flange nuts and they both go about half way. I noticed I can thread a little of the stud through the flange hole and put a nut on it. Can I just tighten a nut on the few threads closest to the turbo side till it pops in or will I fuck it up?

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Why not just replace the studs?

Aren't they like a couple bucks a pop? Plus you wouldn't have to worry about it being all corroded or having fucked up threads

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Why not just replace the studs?

Aren't they like a couple bucks a pop? Plus you wouldn't have to worry about it being all corroded or having fucked up threads
Yeah that's true. I'm gonna pick up a new stud here, but I'm not totally interested in replacing all 4. Unfortunately I think the threads are fucked on the one I accidentally removed.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah that's true. I'm gonna pick up a new stud here, but I'm not totally interested in replacing all 4. Unfortunately I think the threads are fucked on the one I accidentally removed.
That's what I'd do. If they come out, I replace em. Otherwise I leave them as long as they don't look awful

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Make sure to let them soak in some penetrating oil for a while if you want to remove all the old studs to replace. I snapped one off flush when I went to pull it out. I ended up having to drill through the entire turbo flange and remaining stud. Took like 20 mins trying to drill through hardened steel....now I have a bolt and nut in place of a stud lol

Last edited:

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Make sure to let them soak in some penetrating oil for a while if you want to remove the all the old studs to replace. I snapped one off flush when I went to pull it out. I ended up having to drill through the entire turbo flange and remaining stud. Took like 20 mins trying to drill through hardened steel....now I have a bolt and nut in place of a stud lol
To be honest, I actually like your bolt and nut idea for this. Can you show me what size bolt you used? I feel like that's a 100% more fool-proof plan than trying to properly rethread a new DP stud on, and likely better in the future when I want to install my stock pipe. Should've came like that from factory, IMO.

Going by this... https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/exhaust-stud-priced-each/n0445203/

Looks like the sizing is M10x28. Should I hit up Lowes and look for this in hex bolt form and thread it in from the turbo side?

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Wait till you find out you have a new rattle/bang noise on decel/accel haha