GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Door Ratter and Passenger Pillar Rattle

Nick1214

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I have a 2dr MK6 in Shadow Blue that I am in love with. I have somewhere around 300 miles on the odometer.

Today on the highway my passenger noticed that a rattle was coming from the pillar where the passenger seat belt is.

I have also heard about twice a rattle coming from the driver door. They both have been very intermittent and I was wondering what could be causing the passenger rattle. The driver side seems to have stopped.

It was kind of annoying when I was listening to the otherwise quiet ride and the exhaust. I also noticed some wind noise(whistling) about 80-85.

Does anyone else have these issues and is there a fix for them?

Thanks

OzGTI1

Ready to race!
There are probably a hundred postings on this topic:

1. B pillar trim on door can be faulty
2. Door seals could need lubrication
3. Striker plate could need adjustment.
4. Seat belt harness vibration
5. Something mysterious that no one can figure out.

I seem to be suffering from the last one, as I have no clue where mine is coming from. Dealer next week. I also have wind noise as well from the driver's door. Most likely the door seal.

No real fix for any of them. Either do it yourself, or bring it to the dealer (whom you have a relationship with, as most of them will think you've gone mental) to try and sort it out.

Good luck!!!

Nick1214

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks
Response much appreciated

I am going to check out a few of those things you mentioned

Marvin

Ready to race!
You'll need the patience of a saint in order to sort out the myriad of rattles that plague our 'quality' cars - some rattles just come and go but others just stay. Keep away from the dealers unless it's a known problem as they'll probably make things worse.
My solution, an expensive one, is to dump the car and get another one, hoping that lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place, so to speak.

iamagoodboi

Passed Driver's Ed
I would just take it to the dealer, your'e paying for the waranty anyways. I usually just have all my stuff fixed when I go for the maintenance.

jokerific

Ready to race!
I would just take it to the dealer, your'e paying for the waranty anyways. I usually just have all my stuff fixed when I go for the maintenance.

Seconded. I did this and it's virtually rattle-free now :) Of course your experience may vary.. They found some loose clips and rivets here and there, adjusted striker plates, and lubricated some things.

Bender1

Banned
You'll need the patience of a saint in order to sort out the myriad of rattles that plague our 'quality' cars - some rattles just come and go but others just stay. Keep away from the dealers unless it's a known problem as they'll probably make things worse.
My solution, an expensive one, is to dump the car and get another one, hoping that lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place, so to speak.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
You really should get rid of your car. You have such a wonderful attitude you have towards it (note sarcasm). I am sorry that YOU regret your purchase but you don't have to come down on here and bring everyone else down.

4000 miles - not a single rattle, squeak, or unpleasant noise.

Nick1214

Passed Driver's Ed
I still love the car even with the rattle in the door. After driving it again last night I think the driver side fixed itself. I haven't heard it since 40 miles and now I'm at 400.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Rattle door with awesome interior

or No rattle door with interior that feels like this:

I pick my battles carefully

exec

Passed Driver's Ed
Ya. mine just started @ 2400 miles. It sounds like the passenger doors, sometimes the windshield, sometimes the back, over bumps, and with bass it only rattles on the passenger side... It is obnoxiously annoying, but to everyone else a minor issue...

I plan on taking it in soon...my rear washer started dripping from inside the spoiler...ughh

swh50

My driver's door got worse when the dealer worked on it. I can hear my panels slap together if the road surface is a little wash board like. I have a rattle behind the instrument panel on anything more than small imperfection. The summer heat has made some go away. I will be pulling the panels and installing sound deadener so maybe I can kill a few.

Underneath you will find two black fairing panels that run along the "frame" about the length of the floor pan. The driver's will rattle and the dealer says that is the way it is supposed to be.

It is a sweet little car, but the rattles and inaccuracy of things like the cruise, speedo, and mileage computer are proof that they ALMOST go it right.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I had a big rattles war from the beginning of the purchase to around 10k kilos, where I won. I bought some lithium grease and silicon too. Lithium on the strikerplate in inside the hole, really working, both side. I reajusted the strikerplate position more far into the car, to get a really tight and firm doors now. I had to refix the hatchback bushers too, to tight the back. My 2dr gti is almost rattles free now. I hear some rattle sometimes but its almost always something others like a bag of chips.

Rattles can appear just by weathers degree or humidity levels and even by some kind of bad or good roads conditions and the speed you using this road. Some are more annoying that others and a car purchase regret look overact but I can understand the feeling. But your rattles would disappear later man! I think rattles are more frequent when the car is new.

Volks dont lubs their new cars enough , so be patient.

Nick1214

Passed Driver's Ed
drove only 40 miles today and heard nothing at all.

I'll keep an eye on it and try those easy fixes anyway.

Thanks

Marvin

Ready to race!
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
You really should get rid of your car. You have such a wonderful attitude you have towards it (note sarcasm). I am sorry that YOU regret your purchase but you don't have to come down on here and bring everyone else down.

4000 miles - not a single rattle, squeak, or unpleasant noise.
Don't be so blinkered. Read around this topic!!