GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG 2010 MkVi vs Auto 2008 Mustang GT

b00stinmk6

Ready to race!
So earlier today my friend and I decided to see which car was faster, his 2008 Mustang GT (Automatic) vs my (bone-stock) new GTI MkVi (DSG). Much to my surprise I pulled him, actually I couldn't believe it. We raced 3 times, once from a stand still, from a 25 roll, and from a 40 roll. From the standstill be pulled my slightly off the line but than i passed him, without breaking a sweat. Then from the 25 roll i merked and from the 40 roll I felt bad by the time we hit 90 so i slowed down. I honestly didn't think I would even be able to stay with him, and run after run i pulled him, even with heat soak and with 60% humidity in 80 degrees.

I am actually getting my APR Stage 1 tune this weekend and am getting my BSH intake put in. I'm curious if maybe he "mis-shifted" and didn't tell me, but he was in awe that he lost to my bone-stock 2010 GTI.

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks.

TeutonicTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah i'm kind of thinking driver error had to be somewhat of a factor. good driving on your part, but i dont see a reason why a 300hp V8 engine wouldn't pull on a 200hp 4-banger...even with your marginally lighter weight:confused:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
How do you mis-shift an automatic?

I'm thinking that it has to do with the automatic transmission being in the wrong gear when the roll happened and the power loss due to the torque converter.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
the v-dub must put the power down very well compared to the stang GT

Last edited:

TeutonicTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah forgot he said automatic...still even w/torque converter loss he should still pull on a stock GTI. get chipped and that should change though

MichaelLegaspi

Ready to race!
Its no real surprise, a MKVI GTI has 200 HP to the wheels.. The GT has 300 to the crank, although I would find it to be closer since most GT's dyno around 250ish HP. It really depends on the driver and a whole bunch of other crap, but hey a win is a win.

I was able to keep on my friends V6 Mustang from a roll on the highway, he went all the way down to 2nd and I just downshifted to 4th (not redlining btw :lol:). I'm curious to see if I go all out, but that was just for kicks- I don't find "street racing" to be worth it when other people are in danger.

I'm looking at the new APR Stage one though! :drool:

TeutonicTurbo

Passed Driver's Ed
but that was just for kicks- I don't find "street racing" to be worth it when other people are in danger.

I totally agree with you, a little fun can be worth it. But street racing in general is not a smart idea. I saw a kid die in a civic last week in front of my eyes because he thought he could control his car...needless to say he spun out, flew across an intersection and his driver's side door was flung into a van at 50+ mph. Needless to say, he did not make it :(

MichaelLegaspi

Ready to race!
Yea, its pretty bad over here in the San Jose Area- there's a ton of street races all over the place, some even in really slow areas.

A problem though is that there are no real drag strips close by really, but that is of course for the people who actually want to go there.

If you take a look at the Bay Area Racing youtube channel you can see what goes down, but at least most of these people do not do it in majorly congested areas/during the day. But i wouldn't say all of them, theres some pretty stupid/dangerous stuff. :23:

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Mustang is about 3500 lbs, GTI is about 3000 (I've seen weights from 2900-3150, so let's just estimate 3k)

GTI puts down 200 (max) to the wheels, Mustang 250ish (max).

P/W ratio:
GTI: 133 hp/ton
Mustang: 143 hp/ton

Combine that with a lossy transmission, slower shifts, and quite possibly a torque curve that's not as flat as the GTI's, and it's easy to see how that's very possible.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
Mustang is about 3500 lbs, GTI is about 3000 (I've seen weights from 2900-3150, so let's just estimate 3k)

GTI puts down 200 (max) to the wheels, Mustang 250ish (max).

P/W ratio:
GTI: 133 hp/ton
Mustang: 143 hp/ton

Combine that with a lossy transmission, slower shifts, and quite possibly a torque curve that's not as flat as the GTI's, and it's easy to see how that's very possible.

i didn't get time to do the math, thanks for doing that - that's often how i look at the match up...

MichaelLegaspi

Ready to race!
I'm 99% sure that its really the automatic transmission, its really 1,2,3,4, D, N, R so we're not talking like a DSG or a Tiptronic where you can manually take over the shifts. Like on a roll, the gearbox would not know to downshift and then take off, but don't quote me on that.

If it was a manual transmission where the driver would have control of RPMs/shifting if would come out on top, but I wouldn't say by a ton.

Only one way to find out :eek:

jgs5607

Ready to race!
I have a hard time believing that (unless there is something wrong with his car)

Every test I have seen on the GT (including the auto, which is just as quick) has 0-60 times in the 5 second range and the 1/4 mile in the high 13's.

I have not seen a stock GTI anywhwere near that DSG or not. I would not bet pink slips on that race...............

That said, I wouldn't trade my GTI for a new GT (I have owned 3 High Performance Mustangs in the past) since the GTI is a much nicer car in many ways.

jgs5607

Ready to race!
Power to weight numbers are nice but do not tell the whole story (they are just one indicator of how quick a car is). If you want to look at numbers, look at real documented results from actual road tests, instead of calculations ( every enthusiest magazine has tests on both cars) and you will get a realistic.picture. And it is not just in a straight line. In Car and Drivers recent Lightning LaP (which tests power and handling), the GTI and th GT are in the same price bracket. The result GT 1st place GTI last place; 6 seconds faster on a 4 mile course is getting spanked.

I realize we all love our GTI's (and I doubt any of us would trade it for a GT), but we need to keep it real.......

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
^^^ agreed, real tests tell more than equations; my point is just that it's not unthinkable, with driver variables included...