GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dustin's thread

JhnR

Banned
Holy balls. I wonder how it happened...sorry to hear..

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Yeah sucks. I'm pretty sure it has to do with a nasty pothole I hit a month back. I think the crack showed up well after, Evasive didn't see it when they installed my coilovers.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I don't want to mess around with multiple stages of powdercoating, so I'll probably stick with a single stage metallic silver gloss.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Looking to change things up again, I'm getting the itch to put on the SSR's. Getting the tires mounts and wheels assembled after work. Pics to follow :D

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Wheels and tires mounted Friday, pics from earlier today

Still raked, 2 fingers in front and one in the rear

SSR Type C RS 17x8 +48 with Continental DW 215/45

42DD 15mm adapters/spacer is perfect. I probably could've gone with a 225 tire.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Busy install day today, dropped off the car at Auto Union Tuning again to install the following:
- New subframe
- VWR Front Sway
- White Line Front End Links
- VWR subframe mount
- Alignment

I'll post my impressions later, it'll be tough to single any one part out. But for now from short drive from HB the car feels PLANTED I can definitely feel the increased vibration from starting the car and getting out of 1st gear and low RPM acceleration. I'll update as I get some more drive time.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I've driven the car a bit more since everything has been installed. Pushed hard in straight line acceleration, cloverleafs, hard rights and lefts, etc.

VWR Front Sway + White Line End Links:
Having the 24mm VWR Rear Bar only made the car feel twitchy, and less composed. You could tell the bar was there and not in a good way. I felt like if I flicked the steering wheel too hard the back end would come out. With the front bar in the car accelerates flatter and fast right hand turns feel much more controlled. The whole car goes around the corner not just the front with the rear leaning over and out.

Note about the adjustable White Line End Links, make adjustments with suspension loaded and really tighten the jam nuts. The rear kept working itself loose until Auto Union Tuning pointed it out and tighten everything for me.

VWR Subframe mount:
The good: Gear shifting is very positive. Took away whatever little wheel hop I had left. This with the DG-SS kit gave me the biggest improvements in my shifting. I still have some L/R play while in gear but that's not something that can be fixed without breaking down the actual shifter assembly.

The bad: NVH is noticeable I'm really hoping it quiets down a little. If stock is a 1 after the VWR mount its a 4 or 5, I notice it most when rolling around in 2nd gear with the A/C on. I usually like to baby the clutch and smoothly roll out of first to second. With the subframe mount I can be more aggressive with the throttle since I won't spin the wheels (could be good or bad depending on driving habits.)

Notes:
- When the engine is cold, the car starts harder.
- Driving around with the A/C off there are no issues, the NVH is slightly more when going from 1st to 2nd at slow speeds.
- No noticeable NVH in reverse like with some of the other bushings/mounts.
- I agree with Bronson@APR its necessary to get the trans or motor mounts if you get this by itself.
- Considerably more labor costs for install, subframe needs to be completely disassembled old mount pushed out and new mount pressed in.
* Other than the minor NVH I would buy and install again.

TyrolSport Rigid Deadset Collar:
- Since I installed everything at once I couldn't tell the affect of this by itself. I don't have any new suspension noises but it didn't take any away either. It's still a good quality kit, I likely didn't need to replace the bolts just yet.

Conclusion:
The combination of all 4 parts made everything feel very solid without negatively impacting the daily drive-ability of the car. When I did my first suspension mods KW V2 and Unibrace XB, I was not very confident with the handling. As my car rides now it just grips, less body roll, no fuss.

Assuming the NVH calms down a bit as the VWR mount breaks in even driving in traffic with the A/C on should be fine.

There's only a few other suspension mods I could see doing, S3/TT/H2 spindles and superpro arms and bushings but these are labor intensive big ticket items that aren't necessary right now.

Last edited:
B

Bronson@APR

I LOVE this build thread, it is oozing with quality components. The Akra CBE is something I've personally wanted to try out. I love Ti exhausts and Carbon fiber exhaust tips.

Also, the VWR Subframe mount will break in since it is poly, mine has. It took about 4-500 miles but NVH improved. I get no wheel hop at the track and when under WOT shifting from 1st --> 2nd the transmission used to move and make it nearly impossible to hit 2nd gear, not an issue anymore after the VWR Subframe Mount.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Bronson. Yeah I have 600+ miles on the mount now and its calmed down some. I'm still getting used to launching with the mount, but taking off from freeway on ramps hasn't been this fun since I went stage 2 :D

Diesel Geek SS + Tyrol Sport Shifter Bushings and the VWR mount really improved the vague stock shifting.

I've been lagging on getting a video of the Akra exhaust up. I recently picked up a new EOS M camera, if it works with my fat gecko window mount I'll post a short video.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Been kinda quiet in here. Just waiting for parts. Wheels are still at the powdercoater. Need to post pictures from Formula Drift this past weekend. I'll try to get it done this weekend.

In the meantime I recently installed some smaller parts. Volvo license plate frame mount and OEM rear and side shades. Pics after I get my car washed. It was raining earlier this week and windy the rest, so the car is filthy.

Finally doing some body mods. Revozport V2 roof spoiler should be here this week.