GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dynaudio no sound but radio works

Toxicsalt

Hi, I have acquired a 10 plate mk6 2.0 tdi and an getting it ready for the other half. I have only one problem left, which is that I get no sound from the stereo but the original and after market stereo all light up as usual.
It’s got a Dynaudio and the amp looks fine under the passenger seat, also the leads as far as I can see under the carpets look fine.
Fuse wise I’ve replaced f18 under the hood from the little info I can find.
Any help would be appreciated

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Maybe someone did a half assed job installing an aftermarket stereo and cut the wires instead of just tapping into them.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
There was no sound with the factory stereo so I tried an aftermarket in the hope it may work, unfortunately not.
If the high level wires either from the head unit to the amp, or from the amp to the speakers were cut then the head units would turn on but provide no sound.

When you had the head unit out of the dash did you inspect the OEM harness well? Do you know if the speakers work, or are even hooked up? Could be a bad amp, cut wires, or a few other things. Do you have some basic electrical tools like a digital multi meter? You'll want to see if there is any signal going to the amp, and if there is any signal going out the speaker wires from the amp.

Toxicsalt

If the high level wires either from the head unit to the amp, or from the amp to the speakers were cut then the head units would turn on but provide no sound.

When you had the head unit out of the dash did you inspect the OEM harness well? Do you know if the speakers work, or are even hooked up? Could be a bad amp, cut wires, or a few other things. Do you have some basic electrical tools like a digital multi meter? You'll want to see if there is any signal going to the amp, and if there is any signal going out the speaker wires from the amp.
Own harness looks fine. The car has been in the family and not had the head unit touched before. I know the car sat still for 6 months during covid so I’m guessing maybe corrosion from damp or similar. I guess the next stage is a multi meter. Thanks for your help

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Own harness looks fine. The car has been in the family and not had the head unit touched before. I know the car sat still for 6 months during covid so I’m guessing maybe corrosion from damp or similar. I guess the next stage is a multi meter. Thanks for your help
Ok, I would start by finding the output pins/wires from the amp and test them for voltage with music playing. If there is voltage on those wires then an audio signal is leaving the amp but not getting to the speakers. It would be strange if that was the case for every single channel, but it's the easiest place to start. Then, check the wires sending signal into the amp and check for voltage.

If it's a bad amp you should see audio (voltage) going into the amp, but not coming out. You may need the wiring diagram to sort which wires are the audio signals for each channel.