GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU dead/car won't start a year after APR Stage 1 tune (CASE CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgard1

Ready to race!
Been following this closely, I surely hope this won't get locked and boneyarded so that others can see this as well.

It sucks being stuck in the middle without a car with 3 distinct parties pointing the fingers at each other essentially screwing you in the end

APR Claiming its OEM issue
OEM Claiming its APR issue
and installer being clueless.

Yet at the end you have been car-less :(

It's crazy that the ECUs are so god damn expensive for this car not to mention locked to each individual one.

Couldnt agree more.... You would think that VW and the aftermarket community would want to work together and rectify this issue. :mad0259:

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
Man, sorry to hear your problem but I have to agree with APR. they clearly tried to find a installer fault. There was none, period. Your ecu would of shit on you regardless.
Just a case of really bad luck, nothing more.
Your best bet would of been to ask APR to give a written report of what they found wrong and forwarded that to VW customer care.
Since you chose to be angry/upset with APR after all they have done for you, you are now left with nothing.
Oh, and saying you want your money back because you can't/won't use their license again after using and enjoying it for a year? Wow!
That's kinda like purchasing a license for Office Pro and only using it every day on a laptop and a year later your laptop dies. Now you want Microsoft to refund your money because your no longer using it. Ya get what I'm saying?
Sorry, not trying to be an ass but really?

You basically posted for me on what my opinion is. Isa so sim poe

caradd

Passed Driver's Ed
That's kinda like purchasing a license for Office Pro and only using it every day on a laptop and a year later your laptop dies. Now you want Microsoft to refund your money because your no longer using it. Ya get what I'm saying?

Your analogy would make sense if the ECM could be flashed via the OBD port. But the fact the ECM has to be opened just makes the process more of a risk.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, their should be a disclaimer stating there is risk involved in opening the ECM so either state that you do so at your own risk, or warranty the ECM.

Fact is this same thing happened to me. I did extensive research trying to find a case of this happening to a stock car and could not find one. However I've seen several cases of the ECM getting fried, in the same spot with several different people.

I think we can all agree that the chances of this happening are slim, and the amount of people this has happened to can be counted on one hand maybe two hands, so I would say to APR take care of this guy, the cost of doing so would be cheaper then the lost business that will come from it.

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
their should be a disclaimer stating there is risk involved in opening the ECM so either state that you do so at your own risk, or warranty the ECM.

Like I always say, It's uncommon for people to have common sense.

Anything you do will pretty much void whatever warranty your trying to claim on whatever you install or modify.

Does someone need to tell you your hand is going to smell like shit, if you pick up the shit from the floor with your bare hands?

My favorite color is Potato !

B

Bronson@APR

The shipping charges will be taken care of promptly tomorrow morning, that I can assure you. As will the cost we can provide for a replacement ECU through our local contacts.

Colby is the sales manager but Ian is going to be the individual you will speak with tomorrow.

I will be contacting you tomorrow.

Edit: The tracking # was voided because I changed your shipping method at the last second and the invoice was not caught in time, sorry for the confusion.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
I think we can all agree that the chances of this happening are slim, and the amount of people this has happened to can be counted on one hand maybe two hands, so I would say to APR take care of this guy, the cost of doing so would be cheaper then the lost business that will come from it.

Agreed that the chances are slim but really? You think APR should pay for his ecu? As stated, they (APR) tried to find fault whith what was done. There was none!
Heck, maybe op should send a request to Uni or GIAC for replacement since they had about as much to do with his ecu taking a dump as APR did.

My hats off to APR for still working with the op!
And double for still trying to find him a great deal on a replacement ecu!
They clearly have many hours of un billable time spent on trying to help the op!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Well OK then.

APR, a stand up, go the extra mile for the little man, the buck stop here etc, etc operation.

Cudo's to APR.

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
Man, sorry to hear your problem but I have to agree with APR. they clearly tried to find a installer fault. There was none, period. Your ecu would of shit on you regardless.
Just a case of really bad luck, nothing more.
Your best bet would of been to ask APR to give a written report of what they found wrong and forwarded that to VW customer care.
Since you chose to be angry/upset with APR after all they have done for you, you are now left with nothing.
Oh, and saying you want your money back because you can't/won't use their license again after using and enjoying it for a year? Wow!

I hear what you're saying, I really do... I'm going to re-write the same thing I wrote on Vortex a couple days ago, as it still applies:

Maybe you're right... and I'm half inclined to agree with you. Although I'll start out by saying this:

I've been modifying cars for over a decade, some more extensively than others (see sig for a list of most of my previous vehicles). During that time I've also been apart of numerous automotive forums. Search for my screen name and you'll see that I'm a member of dozens of car forums and have likely posted over 10,000+ posts over the last decade & started hundreds of threads. I've had numerous costly issues arise as a result of extensive modification and various forms of auto racing. Search those threads and you'll see that not once have I ever asked a vendor, tuner, mechanic or manufacturer for a cent. Not once. I've always figured that if I broke it, I bought it. No need to take my word for it, the results of a Google search for my screen name can be found easily. Hell, Turbo99jetta is an old friend and co-worker of mine who has known me for years. Feel free to ask him if he's ever heard of me asking anyone for a refund or any type of compensation...

Now, with all of that said I'll tell you why I'm a little burned about this entire situation as well as why I've asked APR for assistance with this issue. Prior to getting the car tuned, I called Brian, who is the owner of Avalon Motorsports here in Denver. He invited me to come take a look at their shop and sit down to discuss tuning the car; and so I did. I remember bringing my son (he was 3 years old at the time) with me and my son playing with the toy cars that sit on the shelf in Brian's office. I told Brian about my main concern: any potential reliability issues that might have arisen. Do you know what I was told? I was told that they had flashed numerous cars and that these cars don't have any reliability issues with a simple stage 1 tune. He then proceeded to tell me that if any freak occurrence issues did arise that they (Avalon Motorsports) had a good working relationship with Emich VW (large, local dealer) and that Emich was a tune-friendly dealer who would take care of my car... None of that conversation is fabricated in any way, shape or form. I was assured that there was no real risk and when I questioned that, I was then assured that if anything came up that their partnership with Emich would see to it that my car was taken care of....

Fast forward sometime, an issue arises... I have the car towed to the dealer I was told was "tuner friendly" and that Avalon had a "good working relationship" with and I call Avalon to inform them of the issue.... and well, the rest has been documented in this thread. I was given false assurances in order for someone to sell a product... but hey, that's my own fault, I'll admit that. I should have searched a little harder for ECU issues and other people's results after having the issues. Lesson learned.

Now as far as "money being tight" goes, well, I'll let you tell me what you might have done... Imagine for a second that you had a significant other that had been concealing a personal health issue for months to spare you the grief it might put you through.... someone you loved and shared your life with. Now, imagine she has a doctor's appointment that she goes to and when she comes home, she tells you that her physician believes she might have a potentially terminal medical condition... and that the two of you are now looking at potentially costly medical testing and treatment... on top of that, between you, you also have 2 small children to care for and you work as a civil servant for your local community (read: not wealthy)... and then within the same WEEK of getting some of the worst news you've ever received in your life, your stupid car breaks down while you're trying to figure out how to raise cash for more important things in life, like the health of your loved one....

So, what do you do? After being misled by your tuner, do you not at least attempt to seek any assistance they might offer in recompense? What do you do when they point you in the direction of the larger "corporate tuner"? At the same time, do you think you might try to sell off things that you don't really "need"? Like, I don't know, a set of wheels/tires that you might sell for less than half of what you paid for with only 6k miles on them? Check:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-quot-amp-225-40-18-Hankook-Ventus-R-S3-tires

How about your paid off motorcycle? Do you tell an interested friend or two that they can have it for a song before you post it on Craigslist? Check. When said friend asks you to give him a couple weeks to get the cash before you post it online, do you give him a bit of time? Check.

Do you volunteer for as much over-time as you can get at work? Check. Sell your weight bench and a few of your tools to your brother? Check.

Trust me when I say that when it rains, it truly pours.

But, if I've learned one thing in my decade+ of posting on online car forums, I know this is the IntArwEbs and nothing I say on here will be viewed as valid by some people (generally a select minority). I'm sure some people will simply state the old mantras "you gotta pay to play" and "at your own risk". Granted, there's some truth to both of those statements... but in my current situation, I don't feel bad about at least asking. Not in the least.

Think what you like, but in my opinion, life isn't always so simple or black and white.

In the meantime, I'll be patiently awaiting the not-so-helpful "it's still your fault" and "if you didn't want problems you should have left it alone" flames that I'm sure will come.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Wow! Tough things happening in your life for sure. Truly sorry to hear them and prayers to your wife for a full recovery.
That said, I gotta say you've sucked up in your past projects and bit the bullet when things happened. Your dealer was clearly going on what has happened in the past when he re assured you everything would be fine. As bad luck would have it, you had a one in ????? go bad on you for something they or Apr did not do
Your vw dealer may now have their hands tied, that's why you should go above them and try to get this resolved. A statement from Apr describing what actually went wrong could of helped your case as its clear Apr Doug deeper into your ecu than any dealer would have. Apr and VW have a very good relationship.
I suggest you contact the head man at vw USA and explain your case in detail. If anything, they may offer to cover the part and you only pay labor.
Worth a try my friend. ,

Last edited:

Q-Ball

not really a gti
OP - firstly like others have said, I'm very sorry to hear about your current situation - both the ecu and more importantly the s.o. health-related situation. Not an easy time for you folks to say the least.

I have read both the Vortex thread as well as this one over the last few days and can agree with yourself and others that it has now become an unfortunate game of finger-pointing. My displeasure stems from the fact that I feel that VW is conveniently taking advantage of a grey area in the form of vehicle tuning. Check out the fancy VW booth at Waterfest but they're quick to hide behind the warranty fine-print in situations like this.

I understand your stance so far and if it's any consolation, I would likely be doing the same things if I were in your situation. Ultimately however it seems to me that APR is holding up their side, and being open and honest about their exposure should they merely cough up for repairs/replacement in an effort to make this go away/prevent negative publicity.

What I would like to see however would be APR helping you build some sort of a case with VW since the problem originated from faulty OEM equipment. APR would have the expertise to prove to VW that the tune had nothing to do with the error (I'm assuming a little here based on the info in the threads). The problem though is that this would need to fall under the heading of 'good-will' and 'above & beyond' since there is surely fine-print in place protecting both company's exposure so neither is obligated to act. You knowingly assumed the risk when you purchased APR's product, as we all do when we modify our cars.

Can't recall if this has been mentioned yet however the only leeway I think you might have would be under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act where it states that in this case, VW would need to prove, not just vocalize, that the tune directly caused the failure in question. I'm no lawyer though! More here: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

As a few others have said above, I too was going to take advantage of the APR Spring Sale for a Stage 1 tune but have decided to keep my ECU stock due to the outcome of this thread. Now that ECU failure is a very real possibility, I cannot take the risk.

Wouldnt it be great if VW and reputable tuners like APR could agree on some sort of shared responsibility warranty for modifications like this? Throw in a hefty deductible but at least make me feel like should something go wrong, Im not going to be left out in the cold.

Last edited:

caradd

Passed Driver's Ed
Agreed that the chances are slim but really? You think APR should pay for his ecu? As stated, they (APR) tried to find fault whith what was done. There was none!

If the installation of the software could be done through the OBD port then I would say NO. But the fact you have to open the ECM, which opens one up to more risk, and the fact the installer assured the OP any issue would be taken care of well walk the talk then.

Zone47

Passed Driver's Ed
I can understand that APR wouldn't offer an ECU replacement warranty if the install was botched by a third party shop, BUT, does APR have a network of qualified tuners who are formally trained in proper handlilng procedure and will warranty any ECU failure after a flash?

The big gray area here is; a failure could potentially be a factory defect, but there is no way to prove that once the ECU is tampered with, so really APR should step up to the plate and say yes, we will warranty an APR qualified dealer install, or no, we won't, any flash mod is the owners risk.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Well OK then.

APR, a stand up, go the extra mile for the little man, the buck stop here etc, etc operation.

Cudo's to APR.

Roin, sorry i was tired when i reviewed this last night, what APR was doing, paying for shipping and because i was tired "I read it as though they were getting you new ECU from their sources"

Reading it now that i am half awake i see they are only paying to ship the ECU, that sucks.

So I take back my Cudo's to the multi million dollar firm APR, and i say just another Pass the Buck operation, either they (they trained the tuner who only uses the best OEM sealant yada yada BS) or your tuner screwed up and you are left holding the bag.

Why i am vehemently against tuners, this happens too often, all the drama and stress, that you really don't need.

You need transportation not a fight and a report and no transportation for the next 6 critical months.

Prospective GTI "Oh i can't wait til the next sale" , owners, you better wait until your warranty is up and you got 2 grand in the bank you don't need to sometime down the line replace/fix the F'd up tune or tuners screw up.:fighting0030:

Status
Not open for further replies.