GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Noise need help

HoliMoli

I've been having this strange noise happen every morning when I start my car. It eventually goes away, but comes back slightly randomly during the day. This has been happening for the past week. Any help greatly appreciated. The weird sound start at the 17-18 sec mark.

https://youtu.be/X-xo1iUD82s

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Can you pinpoint the area of the noise? Sounds like something hitting a fan but they aren't on. Maybe inspect tensioner pulley or alternator with a long tool like a screwdriver. Hopefully it has nothing to do with the timing chain/and or guides.

Last edited:

HoliMoli

it is definitely on the left side of the engine. really hard to pinpoint the exact location. I unfortunately can't inspect the tensioner since I live on a hill and the driveway is not a flat surface. Seems the dealer and indy shop don't want to waste their time doing it either without doing a full job and charging me.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Can you try and narrow down the location?, my first thought is timing chain but I don’t think it sounds quite right for that, as you say it goes away after it’s warmed up a bit I would suspect it’s related to oil pressure and the tensioner though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
It almost sounds as if the timing chain could be rubbing on the metal timing cover but I don’t know how that could happen!

HoliMoli

still tough to pinpoint but when I put my hand on the alternator it seems to be running smooth. When i touch the top left of the intake manifold I feel the noise. When I touch the oil filter I can definitely feel it alot more. I can barely feel it when I touch the cover for the timing chain area.

It's the loudest when I start my car in the morning. When the car starts warming up and throughout the day the sound goes away alot. But I can still hear it. Sometimes it's very noticeable and most of the time it is pretty quiet. Checked my engine oil and seems to be low, but I just had an oil change service done 2k miles ago. I don't have any oil leaks, so I'm curious where is the oil going, and maybe that is the reason for the noise.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
still tough to pinpoint but when I put my hand on the alternator it seems to be running smooth. When i touch the top left of the intake manifold I feel the noise. When I touch the oil filter I can definitely feel it alot more. I can barely feel it when I touch the cover for the timing chain area.

It's the loudest when I start my car in the morning. When the car starts warming up and throughout the day the sound goes away alot. But I can still hear it. Sometimes it's very noticeable and most of the time it is pretty quiet. Checked my engine oil and seems to be low, but I just had an oil change service done 2k miles ago. I don't have any oil leaks, so I'm curious where is the oil going, and maybe that is the reason for the noise.

If what you feel and hear is in fact the timing chain it will be the lower chain (these are the ones [tensioner] that fail) not the top one so that may explain not “feeling” the noise when you touch the upper timing cover, top off the oil and see if it quietens the noise, there are several ways you could be losing oil without seeing an obvious leak on the ground, maybe it’s being burnt? Maybe it wasn’t filled back up correctly during the oil change! low oil pressure at start up would result in a noisy chain if you have the old revision tensioner, firstly though make sure the oil is the correct level, you could be one start up away from disaster if it is the tensioner so if you are unsure take it to a shop to be diagnosed.