GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine trouble - misfires what I've tried, what's next?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
The dealer has the car now. They've verified what I already sorted out, that cylinder 1 has no compression. Next they are pulling the cam cover, putting me at $610 just in inspection costs...

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
They found a broken valve spring, and need to check for piston damage and to see if the valve was bent in the process.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
That's crazy. Have you posted your mod list already? Be curious to know how much output you're pushing.
100% stock engine.

Only mods are interior/stereo mods. A diesel geek short shifter, knob, custom stereo build, Euro cupholder... I that's all.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Bummer to hear man. If there's more damage the repair will probably end up costing more than just getting used engine.
Luckily this extended warranty that I bought (which is usually a rip off) seems to be covering everything that is needed, so if the head needs to come off because of a bent valve they should cover everything. They are sending an adjuster to inspect the car because I guess they don't trust the VW tech, so I have a few days of down time while that gets done and approved.

Seems like a pretty uncommon issue for these cars, I think it was just one of those cases where a part simply failed prematurely.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Dealer said the car is running correctly after replacing the valve spring, but they killed my battery, and now my fuel gauge isn't working. The battery is a pretty new AGM so hopefully it charges back up without any permanent damage. Not sure what they did to break the fuel gauge though...

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Dealer said the car is running correctly after replacing the valve spring, but they killed my battery, and now my fuel gauge isn't working. The battery is a pretty new AGM so hopefully it charges back up without any permanent damage. Not sure what they did to break the fuel gauge though...
tell them to fix it... demand they fix it

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
They are working on it now, but they've had the car for 2 weeks, I hope they get it resolved, this is getting annoying.
Ask to speak to the GM or the Master tech at the dealer, if you get the big heads involved, things can move quicker, just my two cents...

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
No idea why your fuel gauge wouldn't be working. The pinned wire to the in-tank fuel sending unit and the fuel controller module both are on the ECM loom last I knew. You'd have a lot more lights if those were disconnected. No reason for them to pull the tank, the sender, or the controller either to fix a valve spring so the fuse might've blown. Is your temp gauge working for the radiator?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
No idea why your fuel gauge wouldn't be working. The pinned wire to the in-tank fuel sending unit and the fuel controller module both are on the ECM loom last I knew. You'd have a lot more lights if those were disconnected. No reason for them to pull the tank, the sender, or the controller either to fix a valve spring so the fuse might've blown. Is your temp gauge working for the radiator?
Looks like they got it working. It sounds like they ran my battery to 100% dead. The battery was still under warranty and they wanted me to buy a new one. I had to fight them, but I won and I'm going to pick up the car now.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I've had the car back for a couple of weeks now. It seems to be running just fine, I have had 2 sputters when downshifting from 6th to 4th to make a highway pass. On 2 separate occassions I down shifted, hit the throttle, there was a slight studder, then the engine reved and all was well. Neither time caused a CEL, but was noticeable to me (mild enough that it probably wasn't noticeable to my passenger).

I don't know if this can be at all related to the repair that was done, or if it's just related to the need for a carbon clean, but it's something I'm paying close attention to.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I've had the car back for a couple of weeks now. It seems to be running just fine, I have had 2 sputters when downshifting from 6th to 4th to make a highway pass. On 2 separate occassions I down shifted, hit the throttle, there was a slight studder, then the engine reved and all was well. Neither time caused a CEL, but was noticeable to me (mild enough that it probably wasn't noticeable to my passenger).

I don't know if this can be at all related to the repair that was done, or if it's just related to the need for a carbon clean, but it's something I'm paying close attention to.
Time for DSG service