GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Plate Mounting *Need Pics*

OldSkoolNJ

Ready to race!
So I am finally spending some quality time with my new GTi. Every VW I have had has run a EuroPlate and I am not stopping with this one. I was fortunate enough o save my car from having a front plate added by the dealership. So I have an open canvas. I am wondering how you guys that have them mounted them? Screws, doublesided tape ... Krazy Glue? If you got pics (especially for those that used screws) I would appreciate it.

My thought is to use screws. However incase my luck runs out and I have to run a front plate I do not want screw holes out beyond where the normal plate would go. However I want to longer euro plate to fit the curve of the bumper. My idea again is to use screws but put them about 4 inches off the center each. Then put a little curve in the plate. Hoping that would also curve the frame and conform to the bumper.

Any thoughts or advice?

Kevin :thumbsup:

siagolf

Ready to race!
I went with screws...the euro plate frame has a ton of fitment options/holes and my dealer went with 6 to get that curve/molded look to the bumper.

I don't have any close-ups of the plate, but hopefully these 2 pics show you how it's mounted and the slight curve to get that molded look...

who are you getting the plate from? Make sure you check out http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/ as they're forum sponsors and are offering a discount for forum members!

DayMan

Ready to race!
I'm just rocking mine in the front passenger side dash, between the windshield and dash. I just cant ever think of putting holes in that bumper. I thought about the 3M tape but that still makes me a bit nervous. I'm in PA so no need for a front plate, but I would love to find the best non destructive way to get my euro on the front. Just doesn't seem to be a good solution yet..

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I used white 3m industrial 'velctro' stuff in the rear tub on my white gti; the hook-and-loop part won't stand out too bad if the plate has to be removed. It's survived many spray washes and plenty of driving so far.

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
Ok, digging this one up for a question. Being that I don't have my GTI yet but my custom euro plate has just arrived, are there any "dimpled" holes on the front as reference marks for the front plate on the GTI's front bumper? I know there are two little dimpled marks to drill the holes for the rear plate, but I was wondering if there were any up front. Also, is it apparent when mounting the plate frame that it should mount about halfway through the middle of the plate against the leading edge of the front bumper? Every Mk6 GTI I've seen with a front euro plate appears to be mounted in this fashion. Thanks in advance.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
I was fortunate enough o save my car from having a front plate added by the dealership.
Isn't it strange in the US that some States is compulsary for a front plate and it others its not. It isn't just plates you have other rules for one State and not in another. Its the same country why can't they have global rules to avoid any confusion? I bet people don't know if they are coming or going? ;)

Edit: It appears that there are 19 States that do not require an official front license plate Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia and the territories Guam and Puerto Rico.

Last edited:

Bengt18T

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine had holes in it so I used the holes for the very top of the universal holder. Then used zip ties through the honeycomb lower park. It works great and sits a littler lower than some plates.

If I had no holes I'd 3M double side tape the top and zip tie the bottom. That way I'd know it wasn't going to just fall off.

A pic for reference with my old europlate.