GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flutter under acceleration

spoonmectr

Have a ‘13 GTI DSG. Stage 2. Stratified tune. GFB DV+. I noticed today under fairly heavy acceleration I am getting turbo flutter. Its not loud but i had my window down so i heard it. Boost pressures seem to be fine (20-21) psi. Any ideas?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Was it hot?

I get some nice flutter sounds when it's hot out. Car gets heat soaked quicker but boy does it make cool noises :)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
The flutter is your wastegate opening to prevent overboost.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It doesn't matter what PSI it starts at. If the turbo is pulling too much air for what the ECU demands, due to driver input, atmospheric conditions or whatever, it has to dump the excess air to prevent surging. This is the whole point of the N75 valve. It takes the excess boosted air and bleeds it out of the system via waste gate actuation. It is not mechanical and thus depends on the ECU to tell it how much or how little the N75 valve should adjust the waste gate.

If you are truly concerned about the way your car is building and maintaining boost, you need to record several logs for analysis so we can see boost specified vs boost actual, n75 duty cycle, MAF readings, timing etc.

spoonmectr

Thank you. I feel that it is behaving normally. Im Just used to my old Honda with an external wastegate. It didn’t open up till the turbo hit the boost amount I dialed in. I appreciate your help!!