GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Door Panel Removal Write-up

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
don't pull. there is a hidden screw if i remember. naw, no screws.. i was thinking of my Charger window seal.

thegave

Ready to race!
The first is that you need to make sure that the 7 little plastic rivets are are not still in the locked position, you can tell the difference by looking at these two pics I blatantly stole from someone else's write-up. The first is of the clip in a locked position (not what you want), the second is the unlocked position which is what you are shooting for.

Apparently these things have a tendency to break or get stuck in the door, I guess I was lucky. Either way its probably best to pick up a couple spares form the dealership or whatever.

I realize now that the part numbers are actually stamped on the little plastic door panel trim clip rivets, but for those who have an aversion to small text, or haven't removed the panel yet, the part number for said clips is 7L6-868-243, currently at $1.77 ea.

Another tip I learned today while I was at the dealer was that this tool will help remove the door panel without breaking any clips. You'll notice it's approximately the price of seven clip replacements, and while several have reported successful removal without breaking any, I'm sure some of you will be rather more risk adverse.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Cheapest place for those door panel clips: clipsandfasteners.com

$9.95 for a box of 15.

P/N # 21251

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
They are OEM clips, just from VW of China.

wow thats a sweet price then, except for the fact that delivery takes 2 weeks or more. if i didnt already have 5 spares i might have ordered some.

saman

the first is that you need to make sure that the 7 little plastic rivets are are not still in the locked position, you can tell the difference by looking at these two pics I blatantly stole from someone else's write-up. The first is of the clip in a locked position (not what you want), the second is the unlocked position which is what you are shooting for.

So when it's in locked position, is there any way to unlock it and use it or you have to buy new ones?

Last edited:

koolgreen

Ready to race!
my door latch is freezing below -5 deg C..... It has been lubed by the dealer externally and does not help.
Anyone had similar problem?
I am thinking the cable that connects the door handle to the latch is seized and does not move freely.
there is absolutely no issues in warm weather or even cold weather until it goes below -5 deg C.....ie 20 deg F......

engineered2win

Ready to race!
So when it's in locked position, is there any way to unlock it and use it or you have to buy new ones?

If you don't have panel pliers, I found that shoving two of those plastic panel pry bars between the flange that mounts to the door panel and the plastic locking tabs will get them to unlock. I only broke 1/7 (the white plastic cap cracked and fell off) using this method, but had spares on hand.