GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GIAC DSG stage 2 flash track tested

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
GIAC Stage 2 DSG flash track tested

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to get the DSG flashed to GIAC's stage 2 file on my 2010 GTI. The DSG flash was easily done via the access port under the dash.

In D mode, the first thing I noticed was that the shift points where raised a little higher. With the OEM shift points, D mode felt as if the car was forcing me to "hypermile". This is exacerbated more with the Ko4 turbo as the original shift points happened just outside of hitting boost making the engine feel laggy and hesitant. Now the shift point compliments the boost characteristics of the Ko4 much better as it shifts just as I hit boost. Overall this makes D mode more useable and natural in a daily driving situation especially if you have an aftermarket turbo such as the Ko4 which spools up a little later.

S mode feels less like it was programmed by a crazed German engineer and more adapted to the track and spirited driving. Previously S mode shifted too much as it kept the revs close to rev line. On the track shifting with the OEM S mode caused the car to shift down in the middle of a turn which upset balance and would be worse with a set/ combination of turns as the car would be hunting through different gears and would never be in the best gear to throttle steer. It was difficult to be smooth and fast with the OEM S mode. With the GIAC Stage 2 flash the car would hold the appropriate gear more effectively through a combination of turns which made it much easier to concentrate on learning the course ultimately being fast and smooth. S mode is great for someone new to the track. This also helped the transmission run cooler since it didn't shift as much. The OEM S mode would cause my DSG to go into limp mode as it overheated whereas the GIAC Stage 2 flash shifted much less helping to keep DSG temps cooler. In fact my DSG never came close to limp mode at the last track event.

As a track junkie I spend most of my time on the track in M mode. With Stage 2 it eliminates the kick-down feature to a lower gear however still allows auto up shift once you get to the cars redline ( stage 3 eliminates the auto up shift). Also it raises the shift redline allowing you to rev the engine up fairly high before it shifts. The other feature is that clamping force is raised which makes shifting feel more engaging similar to upgrading a manual cars clutch. Shifting is also noticeably faster than stock. Overall making the M mode experience more satisfying on the racetrack.

LC handles the Ko4 power much better. LC rev is raised higher so you launch with even more wheel spin. One thing I notice is that with the OEM clamping force the shift from 1-2 would feel as if the clutch is slipping noticeably whereas now it just engages and just pulls the car forward.

I think the GIAC flash is worth it especially if you have a Ko4 or bigger turbo as it makes D mode more useable with less hesitation, S mode is great for the track or spirited driving, and M mode is even better.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
How much?

GP813

Ready to race!
Saw you at the track day and checked your car out. Didn't know you had a DSG tune though!

With the extensive mod list you have why didn't you go stage 3 DSG?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nice. interested in price as well.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Saw you at the track day and checked your car out. Didn't know you had a DSG tune though!

With the extensive mod list you have why didn't you go stage 3 DSG?

This is what GIAC recommended with my Ko4... it integrates nicely with the Ko4 characteristics.

Should've came by at the track day... How did you do?

All of this info is coming very shortly. We are just finishing up testing on it. :thumbsup:

Panda, glad to see you had a good time with it! We greatly appreciate the feedback on it.

All I can say is :D

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
Glad to see even more options for DSG tuning.

GP813

Ready to race!
This is what GIAC recommended with my Ko4... it integrates nicely with the Ko4 characteristics.

Should've came by at the track day... How did you do?

All I can say is :D

Nice, so I guess your their guinea pig for this at the moment? If so, I'd be down to help with testing as well :D

It was my first time at big willow with this car setup. Best time of the day was a 1:46.

Disappointing because a guy here with a stage 2 GTI was on my ass that had similar lap times. I know i can do a lot better next time and start getting as much seat time as possible. Less car mods more drivers mods for me.

Although i really really really want a set of coilovers after this weekend hehe.
Let me know when your going to attend another track day and ill come out too.