Go Kart Champion
Interested to the Price of RS might be my next car if that were to ever make it

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Same pics again...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Interesting.

I was going to suggest that the R we've been seeing in these photos may be wearing a GTI lower intake...
Manufacturers do this sometimes; test pieces of one car can be tacked on a mule of another.
Makes sense since the GTI will debut first as well.

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
So wait, it would be a $40K+ Golf RS?

I think that's a LOT of money for a Golf - the 35K that the R costs is already pushing it a bit. :p

DarkCloak

Banned
So wait, it would be a $40K+ Golf RS?

I think that's a LOT of money for a Golf - the 35K that the R costs is already pushing it a bit. :p

It would be >$40K for a great car. Plus, remember the Audi TT and A3/S2/RS3 are essentially modified Golfs. The 911 and 356 was based off the Volkswagen/KDFWagen.

Or you could be view the Golf as an Audi that you did not have to pay as much for and someone else paid more for a label. Depends upon your viewpoint.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It would be >$40K for a great car. Plus, remember the Audi TT and A3/S2/RS3 are essentially modified Golfs. The 911 and 356 was based off the Volkswagen/KDFWagen.

Or you could be view the Golf as an Audi that you did not have to pay as much for and someone else paid more for a label. Depends upon your viewpoint.

Audi TT has very little in common with the Golf.
A3 and golf yea... but TT has a ton of different suspension bits made of aluminum etc etc etc

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!

I just think that at some point, one does have to consider the badge. It's one thing to spend $30K on a Golf, but it's another to spend $40-45 on one and have to explain that no, one is not insane, and there is a good reason that it costs that much and yet is NOT an Audi, a BMW or whatever. There is a limit to how far the respect for a Golf goes, regardless of whether it's gold plated or not.

I am not refuting the fact that the R is a great car, but I just think there is a glass ceiling that it can never cross to be in the same range as BMWs and Audis, independent of what parts go in it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I just think that at some point, one does have to consider the badge. It's one thing to spend $30K on a Golf, but it's another to spend $40-45 on one and have to explain that no, one is not insane, and there is a good reason that it costs that much and yet is NOT an Audi, a BMW or whatever. There is a limit to how far the respect for a Golf goes, regardless of whether it's gold plated or not.

I am not refuting the fact that the R is a great car, but I just think there is a glass ceiling that it can never cross to be in the same range as BMWs and Audis, independent of what parts go in it.

Except when you realize than even a 328i goes for up to 55k now... :laugh:

That said 40k+ for a golf is VERY hard to justify...

Pseudo Nim

Ready to race!
Except when you realize than even a 328i goes for up to 55k now... :laugh:

That said 40k+ for a golf is VERY hard to justify...

Lol... this is kind of true. I priced out a similar config to what my 335 was, and it came out to something like $80K after tax. I was like :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: