GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R - My 60K Mile Story..

9V7W3

Ready to race!
I love my R. Worried about things like this. Sounds like some of the issues you had were caused by bad techs.

-oring on Cam pos sensor, door sill, etc.
-APTuning sounds like they canned someone after that, heard only good things.

Yea I heard good things too, and they were eager to make it right so I respect them for that, but I was not going to drive two hours into PA to hand my baby back to them after it got mutilated like it did.. The taste in my mouth was just too bad at that point..

9V7W3

Ready to race!
I think a lot of that is due to the fact that VW started calling the FSI in the Golf R a TSI, even though it isn't a TSI.

Nobody realized that it's susceptible to the same issues that the MkV GTI is.

Well I knew it was the FSI, but since it was my first VW I wasn't fully aware.. Plus everyone I talked to said oh yea it's the FSI but they fixed all the old issues it used to have.. Yea ok

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
well you did get the stage 2+ about 55k miles before clutch took shit? thats stronger compared to many of us on forums on stage 2 gti's.

Aside from the water pump at 9k (only reliability prob) i had some bad luck with this car
- couple weeks after water pump, ran into a pothole that was unnoticeable from distance and it was so huge that i lost a rim and paid 1,400$ out of pocket :mad0259: and my tightness of the steering wheel was gone
- when it snowed one day i had to leave early for work that day and while on my way i ran over a snow rock and ripped my undercarriage cover paid 300$
- cracked windshield paid 200$ at a random shop, they did a good job but it wasn't flawless, there was dried glue inside that sticks out like a sore thumbs and cover the vin number (need to bend down to read), gonna replace it sometime eventually to an oem one
- and worst of all last summer i got involved in pile up accident, and lost my led bi xenons replaced with the 2010-2011 ones and they were WORKING after accident since i checked to see (one of them didn't come with a drl bulb)

- recently installed tyrolsport subframe collar bushing kit which solved the mushy steering issue and won't knock alignment when going through bumps like oem do which are shit imo, if i had to go back to buy gti again this will be my first preventative mod, it should come that way from factory
- right now to replace an oem windshield willing to pay more since the windshield was not the best work and snatch bixenon leds (I'm in no rush for those as i have better priorities down the line with this car)

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
holy cow talk about a lot of problems. too bad you couldn't lemon it :laugh:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You pay to play... there is no free lunch. Sorry to hear about your issues. Imagine if you stayed stock... you wouldn't be out any money period.

asiantricK

Passed Driver's Ed
You pay to play... there is no free lunch. Sorry to hear about your issues. Imagine if you stayed stock... you wouldn't be out any money period.

Totally agree with this post! Gotta pay to play my man. If you're worry about issues, then staying stock is your best bet.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
well you did get the stage 2+ about 55k miles before clutch took shit? thats stronger compared to many of us on forums on stage 2 gti's.

Aside from the water pump at 9k (only reliability prob) i had some bad luck with this car
- couple weeks after water pump, ran into a pothole that was unnoticeable from distance and it was so huge that i lost a rim and paid 1,400$ out of pocket :mad0259: and my tightness of the steering wheel was gone

Yea, well I MADE the stock clutch last 55k miles because I didn't have the cash to upgrade it after spending 40K on the car and 5K on the stage 2+ kit.. I drove the car like it was a geo metro for a while but it just started slipping so bad recently even in 2nd gear, couldn't boost at All.. Yea it was no fun..

My alignment has also been plagued by potholes as I've gone through 7 tires already.. All four of my rims are bent, but they still hold air so warranty won't replace them and can't afford the set of BBS's I want right now after doing the clutch, but they're balanced out OK for now. I'm def going to look into that bushing kit though, thanks for the note.. Good luck man and also sorry to hear about your issues as well!

9V7W3

Ready to race!
In the grand scheme of things, $3k isn't bad for an engine cleaning and rebuild.

I agree, it's just frustrating when a competent technician could have seen the issue easily and prevented it for a $50 part.. Whether it was a good deal on the rebuild or not isn't relevant, I'm sure no one wants to have to pay for that unless you have to.. If I knew at the time how easy it was to pull the pump and check I would have myself, which is why I purchased a VAG-COM so I can head things like that off myself in the future..

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Totally agree with this post! Gotta pay to play my man. If you're worry about issues, then staying stock is your best bet.

I agree with you, and understand that about half of my issues were mostly due to the modifications, but a lot of the issues were also just poor engineering and quality control on VW's part. My purpose of the post was not just to complain about the money I've spent, but to talk to fellow R owners about their experiences, she'd some light on potential problems for some others who haven't yet reached the mileage I have, and to get more feedback from you veteran VW people that have more experience with these cars than I do. Like I said its my first VW. Who buys an R32 or Golf R and says "oh boy I can't wait to get home and keep this car bone stock and save money!!" if that were the case I would have bought a Prius and got 60MPG lol..

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I agree with you, and understand that about half of my issues were mostly due to the modifications, but a lot of the issues were also just poor engineering and quality control on VW's part. My purpose of the post was not just to complain about the money I've spent, but to talk to fellow R owners about their experiences, she'd some light on potential problems for some others who haven't yet reached the mileage I have, and to get more feedback from you veteran VW people that have more experience with these cars than I do. Like I said its my first VW. Who buys an R32 or Golf R and says "oh boy I can't wait to get home and keep this car bone stock and save money!!" if that were the case I would have bought a Prius and got 60MPG lol..

Well... why not just buy a faster car out of the box? Say audi S4? you may have spent nearly as much money making your car that fast + repairs.

Could have avoided all the headaches.

But hindsight is 20/20.

You are correct in fact that cam follower is an issue, but there are simply not enough Rs with high mileages like that to see if it is in fact an issue on a stock car.

Frankly I doubt that it would be by 60k, its hard to say what kind of impact the APR fuel pump has on durability given that none of that testing was done, or publicized. So we sit here having to pick up the pieces.

Sames goes for the countless of fried ECUs, after tunes.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Ah VW, nothing like Satan's workshop aka the dealer doing good work.

There is a reason I call my dealer Satan's Workshop. I've never been to such an incompetent line of dealers, and its shameful that their service is below KIA levels on a car costing 40K.

Agreed. VW dealers are an absolute joke.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Well... why not just buy a faster car out of the box? Say audi S4? you may have spent nearly as much money making your car that fast + repairs.

Could have avoided all the headaches.

But hindsight is 20/20.

You are correct in fact that cam follower is an issue, but there are simply not enough Rs with high mileages like that to see if it is in fact an issue on a stock car.

Frankly I doubt that it would be by 60k, its hard to say what kind of impact the APR fuel pump has on durability given that none of that testing was done, or publicized. So we sit here having to pick up the pieces.

Sames goes for the countless of fried ECUs, after tunes.

Yea I had thought about it but I just fell in love with the look and feel of the MK6 R with the AWD.. It may have not been as fast off the lot but it looks better IMO than the S4 (maybe I'm just a hatchback guy, previous cars were Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo's) and honestly I barely had the cash to afford the R at the time but I made it happen and was ok with it having the "potential" to be a 400+ HP car in the future.. I also kinda wanted to go back to a boosted 4CYL like my 500HP 1993 Mazda 323 that I used to have in college :thumbup:.. This car seemed like the perfect 2012 replacement of that car that I missed so much, we had good times together haha..

That's why I waited until now to talk about all this stuff though because I know I drive way more than the average person and figured everyone should be catching up to 40K about now haha. Luckily my ECU has been fine, knock on wood..

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I think the R ECUs don't have to be cracked open... So that part is nice.