GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Depo R LED Taillights

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeanieKen

Placed order on 4/29, Fed-Ex delivered my package on 4/30. Packing is awesome. It took quite some effort to unpack the lights. As some fellow members stated before, quality is not perfect; however, in my case 3 out of 4 lights are scratched. You won't see the flaws unless you stick your face right into them. It's either hit or miss, I guess for the price I can't complain about it. Thank you Dose for the quick shipping!

Here are some photo of my lights:

Someone obviously put the light upside down on some rough surface.

This one has some stains on it that I couldn't get them off.

This one has several long scratches along the bottom.

Does 3M Scratch Remover work well on the tail lights?

Last edited:

BeanieKen

Took me 2 hours to unwrap, clean up, put them on, and adjusted to the right position. Installing them at night was surely a challenge. Here are the finished photo!

Daytime photos

LOOKS AWESOME!

Just noticed that if the car is not start up, the tail lights won't come on even though I have my foot on the brake. Is this happening to everybody?

Last edited:

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Placed order on 4/29, Fed-Ex delivered my package on 4/30. Packing is awesome. It took quite some effort to unpack the lights. As some fellow members stated before, quality is not perfect; however, in my case 3 out of 4 lights are scratched. You won't see the flaws unless you stick your face right into them. It's either hit or miss, I guess for the price I can't complain about it. Thank you Dose for the quick shipping!

Here are some photo of my lights:

Someone obviously put the light upside down on some rough surface.

This one has some stains on it that I couldn't get them off.

This one has several long scratches along the bottom.

Does 3M Scratch Remover work well on the tail lights?

Sorry about that. The liters should have a film over them when received. The inners sporadically will have those dull spots from shipping. 3M scratch remover should polish those right out.

Since your in Bay Area, I'd gladly help polish them out if you need. A foam pad on a drill with polish will fix those right up.

It's just from the lights moving ever so slightly in the box. Going to ask they add the film to inners.

BeanieKen

Sorry about that. The liters should have a film over them when received. The inners sporadically will have those dull spots from shipping. 3M scratch remover should polish those right out.
The outers do have a piece of film on them, but when I peeled off the film on the first one and saw the blue-ish rough spots, I was starting to worry how bad the quality control gonna be...

Since your in Bay Area, I'd gladly help polish them out if you need. A foam pad on a drill with polish will fix those right up.
I appreciate your offer, but I don't think I'll have the time to do it because my baby is due anytime soon (on 39th week), and will be very busy learning how to change a diaper! (finger pointing to the decal sticker)

It's just from the lights moving ever so slightly in the box. Going to ask they add the film to inners.
That would add some extra protection as the inners are not bubble wrapped. The cardboard surrounding the inners will make tiny scratches during transit.

I'm not really bothered by those minor flaws as these are just replicas, not OEM. Someone mentioned that there were tiny scratches on his lights, but he already forgot about it after one week, well, in my case...I forgot about it the next day! They just look too awesome! =)

I have a tiny issue....Could you tell me why when the car is not start up, the tail lights won't come on even though I have my foot on the brake? :confused::confused::confused: Btw, no start up flickering neither.

I just re-read the instructions...black/yellow resistors should be used on the inners, and black resistors should be put on the outers. To be honest I did not notice which one I put on them, but one thing is for sure, I didn't mix them up. I used the same pair of resistor on my inners/outers. Have to pop the hatch to check when I get home tonight.

Thank you Joseph

Kenneth

Last edited:

Joseph@OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Congrats on the baby.

If you do find the time hit me up and ill gladly help out.

If you don't have the start up flicker it is possible that you are coded already. Easy way to tell is unplug a taillight and see if you get an error. The resistors aren't specific to any light, don't worry about that. If you have Euro version then only the single gold one goes to rear fog. You would know if you messed that up.

No lights with car off is fine. Your car controls the lights and the output so if they aren't lighting with car off, that is because your CECM is not letting it. I don't recall with mine if they did that or not. As long as they function while the car is on that is most important.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Your stock lights don't light up when the car is off either. They should light up when your key is in On position before your car starts.

BeanieKen

Congrats on the baby.
Thank you very much! This is my first one. I'm having a mixed up feeling of excitement and nervousness.

If you do find the time hit me up and ill gladly help out.
Thank you in advance! Maybe I should consider to invest in a new grinder with a buffer pad. My dad has a really old beat-up grinder, but I don't wanna mess up the paint.

If you don't have the start up flicker it is possible that you are coded already. Easy way to tell is unplug a taillight and see if you get an error. The resistors aren't specific to any light, don't worry about that. If you have Euro version then only the single gold one goes to rear fog. You would know if you messed that up.
Awwww...I was looking forward to the start up flicker =( The dealership didn't tell me if the car was coded or not, but I guess it was not. I'll try unplug the inner's resistor and see if there's an bulb out error. I have the NA version.

No lights with car off is fine. Your car controls the lights and the output so if they aren't lighting with car off, that is because your CECM is not letting it. I don't recall with mine if they did that or not. As long as they function while the car is on that is most important.
I do notice they run a little dim under the sun. Maybe the Black Cherry is a little too tinted or they're not as crispy clear as the OEM's (DEPO's have noticeably lower grade plastic, OEM's shine and reflect light like a mirror), but still, I love the outcome and I'm very satisfied with the purchase! *waving goodbye to my luxury stroller*:(:(:(

BeanieKen

Your stock lights don't light up when the car is off either. They should light up when your key is in On position before your car starts.
My stock lights do light up when I step on the brake without turning the key. That's strange....I thought all cars do...at least my other 3 cars in the household do (Toyota, Nissan, Honda) :confused:

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure? Mine doesn't light up when I step on the brakes unless the key is in the ON position (or car started). Honda, Toyota, Nissan are different. They are not controlled by a CECM.

BeanieKen

Are you sure? Mine doesn't light up when I step on the brakes unless the key is in the ON position (or car started). Honda, Toyota, Nissan are different. They are not controlled by a CECM.
Yeah I'm pretty sure. The 11' Golf I had and 13' GTI (before installing the DEPO lights), tails light up even the key is in off position. Especially on the GTI, you need to depress the brake when you turn the key to ignition, otherwise the engine won't start up, right? I'm starting to suspect that my car has a different coding....(no start up flickering, non vagcom coded)

darora15

What shade of red do you guys think will work for a silver golf? Does anyone have any pics of cherry or dark cherry on silver? Thanks

codybrashears

These are the TITS.

Installed these guys last night. DEPO all the way.

The only qualm I have are the cheap 3M adhesives for the boxes. But that is a very easy fix.

Very good quality and I will recommend these products to all!!

Attachments

• 11150524_919769628066002_2056408049952639735_n.jpg
    11150524_919769628066002_2056408049952639735_n.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 202

BeanieKen

Installed these guys last night. DEPO all the way.

The only qualm I have are the cheap 3M adhesives for the boxes. But that is a very easy fix.

Very good quality and I will recommend these products to all!!
Looks awesome! I only used 1 of the adhesive which was the outer on the passenger side. Someone mentioned that he used the white foam cushion that came with the package. I cut them in half and put them on the resistor's bottom (the side with the wires). For the outer on driver's side there was some insulation-like materials so I buried the resistor in there. As for the hatch, it was a little harder to slide them into with the foam due to the small amount of space. Had to pull the plastic panel to make a bigger opening and watch out for the other plug. No sign of rattling during my 30 minutes drive to work this morning.:lol:

P.S. might consider buying some velcro to secure the resistor on the passenger side's outer tail light in case the tape loses its adhesive.

Last edited:

codybrashears

I didn't even think about Velcro!
That's an awesome idea, doe.

Thanks!
I'll be sure to do that this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.