GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI DSG Service Issue - Please Help

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Do you think my mechanic maybe only drained from the drain plug and didn't remove the snorkel? If he did, I assume Id probably have to redo the entire flush? Transmission fluid is expensive but id rather waste another $100 than $4k on a transmission...just trying to figure out why an "experienced mechanic" would screw something up like this?

Guess ill just do what you did...pump in the other bottles and drain out excess, hopefully that works.

You wont get a ton out without removing the snorkel too if I recall its like 4" long or something. But yeah If I were you id just remove the battery & tray and top fill an extra quart through the filter hole and drain the excess and you should be good to go. Should be good to just pop the old (new) filter back on too.

This funnel works great for doing DSG top fill. I like rig up to the handle with bungie cords to the hood so I can just pour an entire bottle in the funnel and it drain hands free. Takes like 3-4 mins for each bottle to go in

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10704-FloTool-Spill-Measu-Funnel/dp/B000EH4V0Y

Last edited:

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
I talked to the guy again and he said he'd just drained the fluid, measured it and put back in the amount that had came out.

So wondering if the issue is that there was never enough fluid in there ever since Id bought it used? Or maybe he didn't drain it properly?..not sure how he would mess up draining the fluid though

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I talked to the guy again and he said he'd just drained the fluid, measured it and put back in the amount that had came out.

So wondering if the issue is that there was never enough fluid in there ever since Id bought it used? Or maybe he didn't drain it properly?..not sure how he would mess up draining the fluid though

Ha I knew it. People really need to stop doing that method idk why it was suggested so much dating back to when the DSGs first came out. It's possible it was underfilled from a prior service when someone did the same thing before too. Getting the fluid to temp and having the car level when draining could make a little difference but idk if you'd come up a liter short still. I've done 4 DSG services and never had any noticeable loss of fluid.

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Ha I knew it. People really need to stop doing that method idk why it was suggested so much dating back to when the DSGs first came out. It's possible it was underfilled from a prior service when someone did the same thing before too. Getting the fluid to temp and having the car level when draining could make a little difference but idk if you'd come up a liter short still. I've done 4 DSG services and never had any noticeable loss of fluid.
Update - I took it back to him and told him to use that method to check fluid as I didn't have time to do it myself with with work...he said warmed up the transmission and took out the drain plug and there was fluid coming out...will check my Dashcam to ensure this happened. I assume I'm good to go but still not sure why the service only took 4L...

Thanks everyone for the help

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Only other thing I can think of is it wasn't fully drained, or he did it on a slope or something maybe, car not level. Guess it would have to be a fairly substantial slope to account for 0.7l though.

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Only other thing I can think of is it wasn't fully drained, or he did it on a slope or something maybe, car not level. Guess it would have to be a fairly substantial slope to account for 0.7l though.
Would you think it's safe as long as that fluid is coming out?

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
He also told me he just got the transmission up to temperature by driving it around for a minute...so he didn't use the proper tool to check temperature...not sure if that makes a difference

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
He also told me he just got the transmission up to temperature by driving it around for a minute...so he didn't use the proper tool to check temperature...not sure if that makes a difference
It makes a difference, there are so many factors that go into getting it up to temp starting with what temp the fluid and transmission are at. There's also a certain window the fluid needs to be at to check it properly

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
There is a window but its pretty broad just getting the car warmed up and letting it sit for a bit before you work should be good. I didnt even check double check the temp with my scan tool last time I did it iirc. Idk if the expansion properties of the oil are that finnicky that its going to make a huge difference if youre in the ballpark. IMO id still add the extra oil and let the excess drain you cant mess it up that way.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You did change the filter, right? You do need it to be the right temperature. Trans fluid expands when hot, contracts when cold.

swimming gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI w/DSG
Yeah he changed the filter. As I'm paranoid about this, I watched the replay of what he did back on my dashcam and noticed two issues.

1. He didn't use the lift that is 100% level when he first drained it
2. He never used the proper device to measure temperature when doing the flush or when I brought it back for him to check the level...he just did a short drive

Would you think its safe to call it done or should I take it to a different mechanic who's better with euro cars and get him to pump in an excess liter and drain to the right level? I want to be safe but don't want to waste unnecessary money...wish i had the tool to measure temp.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yeah he changed the filter. As I'm paranoid about this, I watched the replay of what he did back on my dashcam and noticed two issues.

1. He didn't use the lift that is 100% level when he first drained it
2. He never used the proper device to measure temperature when doing the flush or when I brought it back for him to check the level...he just did a short drive

Would you think its safe to call it done or should I take it to a different mechanic who's better with euro cars and get him to pump in an excess liter and drain to the right level? I want to be safe but don't want to waste unnecessary money...wish i had the tool to measure temp.

I'd take to someone who at least has VCDS and knows how to use it.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This guy is a complete hack.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Absolutely this. That's the problem with forums. While it's not going to harm anything doing it that way, it's still not right. Then you get people thinking that's the way vw recommends lol. 👀

There's people on here changing suspension with a 2x4 for fuck sake.