GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI K04 Replacement: 2014 Accord Sport....

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I sold my GTI about a month ago, and was resolved in driving around in my beater 2003 Passat GLX 2.8 4motion wagon that I bought for 3K. My office is about a 10 minute walk from my house, so I wasn't really needing a car. And I really liked having no car payment.

The Passat has all of the electrical and mechanical gremlins that possesses a 10+ year old VW and its been a love/hate... well put up with / hate relationship with me doing a lot of hate fixing.
But overall, it's not a bad car.

Well, the wife doesn't care for the Passat and was pushing me to sell it and get a reliable car. I was thinking about leasing, but didn't want another car payment. So I decided to buy. My criteria included: 1) Safe 2) Reliable 3) Low Cost 4) High Resale

This unfortunately ruled out a lot of makes including VW. I ended up contemplating between Subaru or a Honda.

In the end, we decided on a 2014 Honda Accord Sport CVT. It received great reviews. Has high projected reliability. Class leading safety. And one of the best resale values. Now for the real review.

I purchased it for a pretty good deal. 1,900 below invoice. With the Hondacare factory extended warranty (8 years / 120K) it was 24 and change out the door.

The Good:

1) New car smell
2) Smart exterior and interior styling
3) Good materials and build quality
4) CVT is actually pretty good. Really can't tell from a standard auto most of the time. Paddle shifters and sport mode help.
5) Acceleration is smooth and decent. Merging onto the highway is not difficult. No where near GTI speeds, but its a economy family sedan.
6) Lots of standard features. Dual automatic climate. Rear camera. 8 inch screen. Auto on off headlights. Standard USB ports. Sunglass holders that fit an adult sized pair of glasses, etc.
7) 10 way power driver's seat.
8) Surprisingly good brakes.
9) 35+ MPG

The Bad:

1) Really noisy for a family sedan. Engine noise when accelerating is loud. Wind noise at high speeds. Direct injection ticking is rather loud with the windows down. It's weird because otherwise the car is very solid and quiet.
2) Stiff ride. It does have 18 inch wheels, so that may have something to do with it. Don't get me wrong, coming from the GTI it's very quiet and smooth, but not as good as the new Passat or even my old one.
3) The car is boat huge. It's actually 6in longer than my old Passat wagon. I can't believe they shrunk it 3 inches from the previous gen. It barely fits into my garage space. That being said, the backseats feel like a Town Car.
4) Armrest does not extend nor is it height adjustable.
5) No GTI steering wheel. :( Electronic steering isn't terrible, but it feels artificial.
6) The backseats fold down in one piece. No 60/40 split. Also the opening from the back seat to the trunk is laughably small. While the trunk and trunk opening is huge, its like a giant funnel.
7) No hood struts, and other minor niggles.

Overall, it's just what it is. A great at nothing, good in everything car. It's easy to drive and own. Requires no special maintenance. No modding bug. I feel secure that my wife will be safe driving it, and most likely won't have any problems down the road. Am I getting old?

fr4c

Ready to race!
Been thinking of the move myself to the 9th gen accord, except I'm looking at the V6 model. Love the look of the coupe, but I've been telling myself to go for the sedan (Touring model) because I want the LED headlights. Low cost maintenance, regular gas + great mileage, and cheaper insurance.

Which dealership did you go in NJ if you don't mind me asking?

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on your new car, I think you're getting old & that is not a bad thing :) . I can't blame you to go for a more popular car been reliable. Personally I think that is relative. Still the newest Honda on its segment is very good. I might go that route in the future updating my GTI for something else as well, perhaps another German car, but definitely an upgrade all around from my current GTI.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Good choice. Honda/Toyota are great reliability choice when going import. But I'm thinking Subaru will be my next car unless I go Jeep.

Stinger

Ready to race!
Can't believe I'm reading this from GTI owner/drivers...

And your ass is getting fat so you should like them comfy seats too!

Bought my GTI when I turned 47, 3.5 yrs ago. Next car? An R because I want to put a K04 on an all wheel drive.

Don't let age age you!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
No pics?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
New WRX would have been sweet, but as long as your happy :)

Stinger

Ready to race!
Wait til your back goes out on you. Then you feel your age every freakin shift.

I think what he meant is that he'll get a Mk6 that has a K04 from the factory.

Actually I meant that I'll buy an R and mod it to add even more power to it. ;)

And my point was that we bought GTI's to make a statement that our primary purpose to buy a car isn't comfort, miles/gl, cost of maintenance, safety and whatever the fk people buy Accords and Camry for.

Whatever...:attention_whore:

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Lol...yes, I'm an old 35. I got the car at DCH Honda Paramus. It's the end of the month and 2015's are coming out soon. Absolutely no reason you can't get at least 1,500 off invoice including doc fees.

I will post pics soon. Didn't really have time. My new car curse is alive and well. I hit a pothole 3 days of buying the GTI and shredded the tire. I got my Accord towed 3 days of buying it for being lazy and not getting a parking permit from my apt. Although the whole towing thing I'm sure is some money making conspiracy.

If I had a longer commute, I would've seriously considered the Touring. As it is, I'm barely driving 5K a year. Also, I realized something about myself. Although I could afford to get a higher trim level or even car, I have an incurable OCD. The nicer the car I have, the more I want to tinker with it and get paranoid over driving, parking, damage, etc. It made it difficult to keep the GTI and for my wife to drive it. I'm actually even considering replacing my wheels with the base model's 16's.

So far I'm really happy with the Accord. Peace of mind.

misaka

Ready to race!
Decent reliable choice. Since I'm getting 2 cars at once now, one for the wife I'm in the same safety and reliability mindset. Currently considering Mazda 3 or going for AWD with a subaru forester lol