GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI running fine

Lol, some of these posts are really funny and I am glad some of us are still enjoying the crap out of the car.

Here is my side of story!

Got my 2012 CSG GTI on April 1st 2012, drove it for about 10,000km before parking it for winter, during that time, I did an oil change right at 7,003km, and everything came out good on the inspection sheet. Then when winter is over, started driving it again on April 15th 2013, since I live in Edmonton, a lot of rocks and pot holes around the city, so like many of us, window shield got chipped and one of my tire has a "bulge" on it. Since I didn't get the tire warranty (which I am kicking myself that I did not) replace the tire for close to like $250 or something like that with install and balance. Also fixed the chip for like $40 so it won't spread across my windshield. And last I did another oil change at 13,xxx km and once again everything was good. So since its winter again in Edmonton, parked the GTI and Civic is out!

Within the 1 year and 8 months of ownership, my car has been very good for me! No problem so far! And I am stage 1 since 90km right off the lot at the dealership.

Next year looks like me and my wife will be looking at a slightly bigger car than her Hyundai Elantra, going to look at a Jetta TDI, 14 Accord, and Mazda 6. Only thing that the Jetta is not winning is no free maintenance, both the accord and the mazda 6 will get life time oil change for free.

Whatever you do dont go korean man.....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
:laugh: @ people talking about reliability on cars with less than 50k miles and less than 4 years old.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Only issues I've had I feel like I caused (coil pack and slipping clutch); extremely happy with this car!

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
50k miles and about 18 months with the car. No problems caused by inherently bad design or poor reliability.

Had a slipping clutch, replaced it. Had a subframe clunk because of the clutch job, got the collars. Had a squealing intake, got the revD DV. Broke a few tabs on the bumper mount, replaced that. Nothing replaced that didn't have to do with my own interventions.

GTmyI

Ready to race!
:laugh: @ people talking about reliability on cars with less than 50k miles and less than 4 years old.

We didn't say its reliable, we were just saying its running fine so far we have it! like many post we read (or at least I read) gti fail within first week, month, months or year. We just post on here to show there are some of us with better luck with the car!

And do forget, I do believe like 90% of us here drives pretty hard with our gti, compare to ppl with honda and toyota, i can guarantee you we push our car harder. Hence of course reliability will go down. If I am stage 2 and manual, and blew a clutch, i am not going to blame it on reliability.

just my 2 cents! :rolleyes:

50k miles and about 18 months with the car. No problems caused by inherently bad design or poor reliability.

Had a slipping clutch, replaced it. Had a subframe clunk because of the clutch job, got the collars. Had a squealing intake, got the revD DV. Broke a few tabs on the bumper mount, replaced that. Nothing replaced that didn't have to do with my own interventions.

Do you recommend adding the collar kit when I do the clutch job? I bought the RSR clutch kit, you guys convinced me that this would be the best option.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I had the same reaction. Kind of love his post tought....

''Car is perfect, got my motor replaced, no problem with the car''

Under warranty whether it be a water pump or something else. The car has been flawless. Motors fail like any other part. Rare but it happens! It was the #4 spark plug electrode that failed. It was not the motor per se.

the shop i went to didnt touch the subframe

Yea I think it depends on the shop, some just want to have more access and drop the whole subframe, but I know its not necessary to drop it.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Do you recommend adding the collar kit when I do the clutch job? I bought the RSR clutch kit, you guys convinced me that this would be the best option.

If the shop is doing it, advise them to remove the axle flanges to avoid touching the subframe. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the subframe bushings unless your subframe is moving around on you. There's next to no benefit for performance or feel for your $200.

If the shop is doing it, advise them to remove the axle flanges to avoid touching the subframe. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend the subframe bushings unless your subframe is moving around on you. There's next to no benefit for performance or feel for your $200.

I will try to let them my concerns, but sometimes it gets messy when you try to tell them how to do their job. Especially when I am not 100% sure what to do every step and things get messy inbetween.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I'm getting ready to pass 53k miles and I love the car more than ever honestly. I'm about to pass the threshold of having this car longer than any other new car I've ever owned which is really saying something for me.

I had the hpfp failure around 19,500 miles and my battery crapped out about three months ago. The car otherwise has been problem free and a blast to drive. After being adamently against suspension mods I went for it this summer and the car is just ridiculously fun to throw around :)