GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Head unit swap

Veera

Hi,

can I swap my 2011 mk6 gti head unit with 2017 mk7 head unit for car play? Any ideas on fitment?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Search for info on the RCD330 ;)
X2 this is cheapest and easiest. I just ordered from RCD330 dot com. It is CarPlay via USB, they also sell wireless units for more.
I bought 330 and backup camera for 495.00
Video on installation of unit. Looks easy enough.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Nice review... I've been kicking around an "aftermarket" radio for a long while but the lack of OEM look was always a turn off... Looks like this might be my ticket lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Nice review... I've been kicking around an "aftermarket" radio for a long while but the lack of OEM look was always a turn off... Looks like this might be my ticket lol
RCD330 is OEM just not for the Americas, i think Asia, India etc.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
RCD330 is the best bet. I've had mine for a few years now and it has never given me any problems. Carplay and android auto. Took 10 minutes to install. I added a rennline phone mount. Perfect setup IMHO.

20210715_083014_copy_3024x2268.jpg

Perfect setup after adding the sub anyway.

20210707_171127.jpg

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
RCD330 is the best bet. I've had mine for a few years now and it has never given me any problems. Carplay and android auto. Took 10 minutes to install. I added a rennline phone mount. Perfect setup IMHO.

Perfect setup after adding the sub anyway.

I have ordered 330 and the backup cam. Where did you get the Rennline phone mount and is it not a Porsche item? Really like that.

Will have to add sub too now that I have seen your post. ha Do you like you sub setup?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have ordered 330 and the backup cam. Where did you get the Rennline phone mount and is it not a Porsche item? Really like that.

Will have to add sub too now that I have seen your post. ha Do you like you sub setup?
I got mine from Pelican Parts but you can get them direct from Rennline. They're a little pricey but are very well built. I have already gone through several other mounts that all sucked which ended up costing me more in the long run.

https://www.rennline.com/VW-MK6-Gol...MI3a7ko8K48wIVkhx9Ch0_iAXwEAQYASABEgJAxPD_BwE

The sub sounds amazing. I wish I had done it sooner. The best part is seeing the confussion on peoples face when they ask to see the box in the back.
20210707_171335.jpg

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Do you have a thread with details on your sub install.

ordering rennline phone holder today, thank you for the link

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have a thread with details on your sub install.

ordering rennline phone holder today, thank you for the link
No I had the electrical done at the shop I bought the speaker, amp and audio control from. I had installed the box already so they gave me a killer deal on the install. They charged me less for everything installed than most shops were quoting me for just the components alone.

I bought the underfloor box off a guy on the forum not realizing it was for an R, which doesn't have a spare tire, so it didn't fit. I swapped out my full size spare for an S8 spare (believe it or not there is a spare in there) and added a round plastic plant dish on top of the spare for storage and it actually worked out really well. I can fit all kinds of stuff under the floor now along with the speaker.

Heat was an issue though so I added a fan in the plastic pocket divider.

20210926_100234_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Last edited: