GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Head Unit Upgrade

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
Good to know thanks
No, but most powered subs that accept line input work fine. I used a 10in Fosgate powered sub and love it.
If you are looking to go higher end with seperate amps etc. this is not the head unit for you. This is a factory head unit (from non-US market). It is a nice upgrade as the tech is about 10 years newer than what was in our cars. The screen is decent and does a good job of supporting the reverse camera if you add one, but the real reason I got it was for CarPlay to use Google Maps for navi, Apple Music, on screen text messaging etc. and I added the rear view camera which my car did not have. I then added the sub and the whole of the package is very big upgrade to the system.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The RCD330 isn't an OEM head unit, someone just realized there's enough of a market to make a VW-specific aftermarket HU.

But yeah. Most of them don't have RCA outputs, they're designed to integrate with the car's existing equipment.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
The RCD330 isn't an OEM head unit, someone just realized there's enough of a market to make a VW-specific aftermarket HU.

But yeah. Most of them don't have RCA outputs, they're designed to integrate with the car's existing equipment.

Everything I have read indicates that the real RCD330 were from China and India primarily and were OEM used mainly in Passats assembled by VW-SCIA in China. There really isn't anything VW specific about it other than the style sort of, there are other aftermarket headunits that fit and are just as good or better. Because this is for Chinese market the FM tuner does not have HD FM like a US headunit. I got it mostly because it was inexpensive (359.00, now 385.00), looked stock, worked with the VW flip up mirror and supported CarPlay.

All said, i agree with you, it really doesn't matter about the real OEM story or not. It is a decent choice for under 400.