GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Depo LED Headlight Confusion

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I have a few questions I was hoping somebody would be able to answer. For the longest time, I thought I would need to do all that conversion crap to go from my ugly yellow halogen headlights to those nice LED headlights.

I saw OPD says their led headlights are specifically for the stock 10 pin halogens and I also emailed them as well to verify this. They told me their headlights should just plug right in. No error as well. I noticed it said no bulbs were included though. My question is, what kind of bulbs do I need? They told me I can use my "stock H7 bulbs" which doesn't make much sense to me or I can purchase HIDs for them. I'm pretty sure I can't put my stock yellow bulbs in those headlights so what's the deal with that?

http://opdparts.com/index.php/volkswagen/vw-golf-6-projector-headlights-r20-style-led-black.html

Would appreciate any help! I'm a complete noob when it comes to the electronics/lighting side of a car.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
You can use any H7 bulb in these projectors. So yes you can use your stock bulbs as they said.

If you want HID you will need to buy a hid bulb and ballast kit. The headlight assembly is just the projector (what allows you to use HID without being a total douche blinding everyone.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
So if you want an HID for a pure white or light blue color to the light... you will need to buy a H7 style HID kit.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yes. I bought a pair of whiter bulbs from advanced auto and they were pretty white.

These were the whitest halogen bulbs i had
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1-P?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*15004|L3*15644

I went to these as they were on sale they aren't as white as the ZXE(above) but they are pretty white and not yellowish/dull Id say they are maybe like 10% less white at most but they seem to spread a little wider/farther than the ZXE lights
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...8-P?navigationPath=L1*14920|L2*15004|L3*15644

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I put Silverstar Ultra H7 bulbs in my oem halogen lights. The light is whiter which I like, but the throw of light down the road sucks. I also installed some deautokey H15 bulbs in the high beams. They look blue compared to the Silverstars. I wonder if those Helix depo lights provide more light with the same bulb??

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I put Silverstar Ultra H7 bulbs in my oem halogen lights. The light is whiter which I like, but the throw of light down the road sucks. I also installed some deautokey H15 bulbs in the high beams. They look blue compared to the Silverstars. I wonder if those Helix depo lights provide more light with the same bulb??
Well they are projectors so it should be a cleaner/tighter group that projects instead of a reflector(halogen housing) bouncing light everywhere. But i dont know to be honest in theory i would think so.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'd like to think that the projector beam would work better, but I have low confidence in our Chinese light making brothers. Reading on OPD site makes me worry a bit. Condensation in the lights is normal??? Hmmm doesn't sound too good to me.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I'd like to think that the projector beam would work better, but I have low confidence in our Chinese light making brothers. Reading on OPD site makes me worry a bit. Condensation in the lights is normal??? Hmmm doesn't sound too good to me.

I'll tell you what. I'd rather buy them from OPD then have them shipped straight from a Chinese factory. At least with OPD, I get a warranty. Looks wise, people say they're pretty spot on compared to OEM. I'll most likely seal them myself as well. My stock OEM halogens which have never been removed get those water droplets on the inside as well if I spray it too hard with the hose. Usually dries right up though.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
What warranty? I'm sure they will work, but being told condensation in them is normal, well that kind of kills it for me. If you get those let us know how they work. I need some more convincing.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
What warranty? I'm sure they will work, but being told condensation in them is normal, well that kind of kills it for me. If you get those let us know how they work. I need some more convincing.

They say on their website if anything goes shitty on them they'll refund you up to a year. I'm thinking if they hold up perfectly for a full year, they'll be good for a while. I'm willing to take the condensation risk. Just not gonna blast them with the hose.