GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

DD89

Ready to race!
What's up everyone, I just purchased (pending financing options) my shadow blue, 6mt, 18's GTI. I've been a golf fan for all of my life, before when me and my family lived in Europe my father had 3 Golfs (red, dark blue, and white) and I guess that's where my love for them comes from. I had people try to sway me away from the GTI saying things like it's only 200 hp or it's only this, or it's a hatchback, but until they drive one, that 200 hp feels like a lot more, anyways enough about that silliness.

I'm going to grab many pictures on tuesday after work of the car in my driveway =)

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
Hi to all! My name's Carlo from Gaithersburg, MD. I got the 2-door Carbon Steel Gray Metallic 6spd man for my birthday. Can anyone recommend a body kit even though it's already gorgeous as it is? Thanks!

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
Hey guys, found and trolled this forum for few days, finally decided to register. Ordered my 2010 CW GTI fully loaded last week, haven't gotten a VIN yet, but I'm estimating my car to be shipped by sometime early/mid June.
Lots of plans for the GTI after break in, I can't wait.

My previous ride was an 06 mazda3 gt, great car for the price range, but it's now time for a change. =D
here's a pic of my old car

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
Hi all;

I am Serkan, from Romania. I am an engineer.
My previus car was peugeot 106GTI. It was so much fun to drive and had good handling. I saw MKV Golf GTI in a car fair in 2005 and then it became my dream. After 5 years my dreams came true and I have now MKVI GTI...it is much better in anything in look and handling...It is a great car!!!

Bender1

Banned
If anyone (on the east coast) is waiting for a car to be delivered at the end of this month or so the Athens Highway is at the port and will be loaded and underway this week!

The Ruby Ace entered into the North Atlantic early yesterday and should hit Davisville on Friday.

turbor850

Ready to race!
Hi all,

Purchased a 2010 Tornado Red - DSG - BiXenons - Autobahn Package - 18's

First VW, before this was 1997 Volvo 850R (340 whp), 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2002 Audi S4, 2006 Volvo XC90 V8, and now 2010 VW GTI ! This is my daily driver as my Shelby GT500 is the weekend warrior. Car is very very enjoyable so far!

Thanks!

Also, could someone help me with these questions ?

- Does DSG shift faster in S then Tip or Drive ?
- Is there a "screensaver" I can put on the radio when driving at night so its dim ?

Last edited:

daihard

Ready to race!
Hi all,

Purchased a 2010 Tornado Red - DSG - BiXenons - Autobahn Package - 18's

First VW, before this was 1997 Volvo 850R (340 whp), 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2002 Audi S4, 2006 Volvo XC90 V8, and now 2010 VW GTI ! This is my daily driver as my Shelby GT500 is the weekend warrior. Car is very very enjoyable so far!

Congrats!

Your car is just like mine. :)

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
Well i was driving by the dealership enjoying cool air with the top down (which we don't have much in Houston) and i saw what looks like my car...so i haul ass and make my way back and i find my salesman (the big guy) outside checking it in.

well i haven't had it very long, so i haven't got any good pictures of it. Just when it arrived from Dallas.
Video of 2nd gear and 3rd gear of just 3500RPM giving it break in period before i start giving it alot more RPM
View My Video

Parked at home next to the wife car....yeah... the kids are going to ding it up at one point with the door.

patrickj

Ready to race!
Hey everyone!!!

I'm about to become a GTI owner again. My first GTI was one of the earlier models that was all about flying by the seat of your pants and if you got on it really hard, you could actually get a rear wheel off the ground during really hard cornering. In 1985, I was the proud owner of a silver GTI which received a break upgrade to metallic pads, some minor engine mods and a larger rear sway bar. That car was so much fun

Since then, I've graduated college, gone to grad school and have owned a Lexus IS300, Infinity G35, my current vehicle, a BMW 325i and assorted other cars. I drove a GTI yesterday and man have they changed a lot. Overall, much nicer, but I'm not sure I like the steering feel. The car also needs more power which I intend to fix with an APR Stage 1 flash.

I have a few questions for those of you about my purchase if you don't mind.

I have looked at all the colors and really like the Shadow Blue Metallic, but the way I want it optioned, the vehicle is nowhere to be found in the entire country. I'm looking for a 6 speed manual, with Autobahn, Xenon's, Bluetooth and am considering the stereo upgrade and 18" rims. To get these options, or some combination, I need to select a different color. I'll probably end up with the Carbon Steel Gray Metallic.

I'm really up in the air about the wheels. I live in VA and the roads for the most part are still really bad. I'm afraid that the 18's have such a low profile that one pothole or major road hazard will lead to a badly bent rim or blown tire. Besides, the only really good looking rim that VW is offering is the Topas sport alloy combination for ~$1500. For that money, I could buy a new set of rims/tires at tire rack or nicer rims elsewhere with dedicated summer tires and run the 17" ASR's during the winter. Besides, like my BMW, the 18's are heavy, something like 50+ lbs. Can anyone provide some advice/guidance on the rims?

Also, I have read that the DSG is amazing, but I just can't see an automatic being that great. I understand that it is lightning quick when shifting, but you still lost boost when shifting with both transmissions. I haven't driven the DSG yet, but any information about choosing between the two would be appreciated. I'm planning on installing a short shifter in place of stock. The shift throw did seem a little long, but driving a stick again just felt right.

Finally, I plan on doing an APR stage 1 upgrade, but am not sure that the intake and exhaust and intercooler upgrade are necessary. Besides, I saw a different thread saying that the intercooler out of one of the Audi TT's was a perfect fit and far cheaper than the APR upgrade. I know that APR has been tuning Audi for a while, but is that the best tune for VW? I don't want to start a flame war, but I'm looking for a safe, conservative tune that won't piss the dealers service department off. Also, there is a place in Lorton that does the APR flashes, but I'd like to find a shop that can help with all my tuning needs. Suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.

Can anyone suggest dealers for buying and for service? I've spoken to the sales guys in Alexandria and won't be going back. The Springfield dealer has been very responsive, but Fairfax has been the most aggressive in the sales department.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I have quite a few questions and these forums seem to be pretty active.

Thanks.

patrickj

Ready to race!
I know the Alexandria area VERY well. 18s will be fine, but 17s will certainly be more comfortable.

Thanks. Are you saying the 17's have a better (less jarring) ride than the 18's? The GTI I test drove felt better than my 325i which has the sport package. Any suggestions for dealers for a purchase?

ShahulX

Ready to race!
^ I bought mine at King VW in Gaithersburg MD... ask for Val or Fransisco, tell them you know me and they will get you a good deal and DX in the car you want... plus no stupid VA processing FEES ($99 flat in MD, VA dealers charge $299+)

Bender1

Banned
Thanks. Are you saying the 17's have a better (less jarring) ride than the 18's? The GTI I test drove felt better than my 325i which has the sport package. Any suggestions for dealers for a purchase?

yes, 17s will be less jarring

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
Hi all;

I am Serkan, from Romania. I am an engineer.
My previus car was peugeot 106GTI. It was so much fun to drive and had good handling. I saw MKV Golf GTI in a car fair in 2005 and then it became my dream. After 5 years my dreams came true and I have now MKVI GTI...it is much better in anything in look and handling...It is a great car!!!

Hi Serkan, glad to hear from someone in Romania. Happy to hear you have a '10 MkVI. I wish the French would import cars to North America again. Cars like Peugeot, Renault and Citroen, they make great cool little cars I see on TV racing off road.