GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello! New GTI owner!

blj5033

Hey all. Discovered this website a few weeks ago during my new car search.

A little history, I graduated college in december and needed a car that reliable and got pretty good gas milage. Coming into the search, I owned a 1999 Mercury Sable and a 2003 Ford Mustang GT. The sable had 170,000 miles and was on its last dying leg, and the mustang didn't get very good milage (around 14 mpg) but only had 48,000 miles.

In my search, I jumped between tacomas, xterras, older bmw, audi tt's, 350z's, you name it i probably considered it. One day, I decided to test drive 2 GTI on a used lot, one was a DSG and the other a 6M, both had about 19k miles. I didn't fall in love at first site, unfortunately. The DSG had engine problems, and the 6M looks like it had been hit (none of the doors lined up)

Jump a couple weeks later, I was at the local VW dealership, and they had the exact car i was looking for: 2012 Carbon Steel Grey GTI in 6M Sunroof, premium sound, and battle axe (what i call them) wheels. The only thing that i was disappointed in was it had no bi-xenon lights, though I will eventually change that in the next six months (the correct way)

The day I test drove that 2012, I fell in love. I went to the dealership at 9 am, the dealership let me take it home for a couple of hours, and I signed papers at 3 that after noon. Got the car for just a hair under $24,000 151 miles, and financed $12k at 1.9% for 5 years, though i will be paying it off in 2.5 years.

The old:

The new:

and a picture of the sable, mustang, and GTI before leaving my beloved mustang behind :(:

Sorry for the epic story LOL :clap:

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Welcome. Good choice of car...

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Jump a couple weeks later, I was at the local VW dealership, and they had the exact car i was looking for: 2012 Carbon Steel Grey GTI in 6M Sunroof, premium sound, and battle axe (what i call them) wheels. The only thing that i was disappointed in was it had no bi-xenon lights, though I will eventually change that in the next six months (the correct way)

The day I test drove that 2012, I fell in love.

Same here. Test drove many new cars before the GTI. Some were "meh" and some were "wow". No, the GTI is the car that I fell for head over heels for.

As far as the lights, I actually like the standard ones quite a bit. I have no issues with visibility at night. They are really bright. Besides, the bi-xenon aren't worth the price as much as the Golf R type tails aren't (at least in my book). I'd rather pay for something I see while driving or that improves my driving experience. A better audio system, engine upgrades, etc.

Last edited: