GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Fuel cut issue

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
In case anyone is curious. I fixed the issue. It was my MAP sensor. Replaced it and the car is back to running beautifully.

#didntneedaservicemanual
Thanks for posting the solution. Very helpful to others that may follow to see it was a sensor failure.

Did the MAP have oily residue on it? I am wondering how it failed and if this will happen again. It might be worth it to pull your turbo exit pipe going into intercooler and see if you have excessive oil in pipe and or intercooler. This would be associated possibly with turbo wear, may be time to rebuild the turbo as the oil may be fouling the sensor. Just a thought.

Also I assume the date/time is correct in your ECU. Those error codes you posted were from 6 years ago if time / date are accurate which would make them misleading. I always first clear all codes and then run car to gen most current codes if I have an issue.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
As I suspect related to you tune
Just curious, not a mechanic, how is it related to the IE tune? Again, just curious, trying to understand the relationship between MAP failure and a tune.

GolfRfrontend

Go Kart Newbie
hope this helps and kinda educates how tuning affects sensor. If you install wrong map sensor ECU or PCM doesn’t like the values.. is the same with tuning vehicle if you go APR stage 2 tune and fail to upgrade hardware you have engine issues.. who knows maybe you have a bad MAP sensor it was just a coincidence you MAP failed after tuning.. tuning is a fun way to gain more horsepower and torque but tuning can cause a lot of issues down the line. I would just go with APR stage 1 and have the power when need , but don’t abuse. Hope this helps you

choloblanco

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for posting the solution. Very helpful to others that may follow to see it was a sensor failure.

Did the MAP have oily residue on it? I am wondering how it failed and if this will happen again. It might be worth it to pull your turbo exit pipe going into intercooler and see if you have excessive oil in pipe and or intercooler. This would be associated possibly with turbo wear, may be time to rebuild the turbo as the oil may be fouling the sensor. Just a thought.

Also I assume the date/time is correct in your ECU. Those error codes you posted were from 6 years ago if time / date are accurate which would make them misleading. I always first clear all codes and then run car to gen most current codes if I have an issue.
There wasn't a ton of oil on it. I mean there was a light amount of residue but I think that's expected considering that trace amounts of oil end up there anyway. I don't know if that's what fouled it or what. It had about 150k miles on it so it's possible it just died. Since replacing though, the car has run like an absolute champ.

Thanks for the heads up on the dates. I failed to clear the codes before I scanned.

choloblanco

Passed Driver's Ed

So I think you may be correct about my turbo needing to be rebuilt. Today I started the car and when I took off, it jerked on me a few times. I let it warm up and then floored it to see if my meth spray would clean off the MAP sensor and stop the issue. It did. The problem completely stopped after I floored it and I think that's why. Do you have any idea what it might cost to have the turbo rebuilt ?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So I think you may be correct about my turbo needing to be rebuilt. Today I started the car and when I took off, it jerked on me a few times. I let it warm up and then floored it to see if my meth spray would clean off the MAP sensor and stop the issue. It did. The problem completely stopped after I floored it and I think that's why. Do you have any idea what it might cost to have the turbo rebuilt ?
A popular rebuild shop here in SoCal charges 300 for rebuild plus shipping. Lots of folks from all over send turbos here for rebuild. SoCal Porting link.
I would recommend that you remove and clean all piping between turbo and intake manifold, along with the intercooler and clean out all the oil, likely bottom of intercooler may have some collection of oil as well.

choloblanco

Passed Driver's Ed
A popular rebuild shop here in SoCal charges 300 for rebuild plus shipping. Lots of folks from all over send turbos here for rebuild. SoCal Porting link.
I would recommend that you remove and clean all piping between turbo and intake manifold, along with the intercooler and clean out all the oil, likely bottom of intercooler may have some collection of oil as well.
I might have to do that. Any idea how this happens? Is it just the turbo aging and wearing?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
You car has a lot of miles on it and by design the engine recirculates evap oil from crankcase (part of emissions) to burn them off. It is a small amount of oil vapors but over time it will condense and fall into tubing and intercooler and collect. And yes as the turbo ages after zillions of spins it too can leak some oil and contribute. Given your mileage, you definately want to rebuild the turbo