GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! Replaced License Plate Bulbs and Dashboard indicator still light on!

eldadmendez

I have a VW Golf Sportwagen 2011 (MK6) and just recently replaced the license plate bulbs with some white LED sold by AutoZone, LED work great and are really nice.

Issue is that dashboard indicator (witness indicator) is still on, whenever I start the engine, it's off but as soon as I turn on the lights, witness lights on again.

Tried welding a 1KOhm resistance on the bulb housing with no effect, what can i do?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 20211021_074905.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 66

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Not sure what ohm resistors are needed, but apparently 1k ohm isn't sufficient. I've been running the direct replacement ones that come with their own housing and resistors built in from deautokey for as long as I can remember. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I spent $45 up front and never have to worry about them, as they're guaranteed for life.

eldadmendez

System detects when you have an "open circuit" and light on the witness on the dashboard, resistors are placed to lie the system and show that bulbs are there... these ones were not cheap, but need something else... might use lower rate resistor....

riceburner

Autocross Champion
but thats just, like, a volkswagen thing, man...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
LEDs will throw codes. just the nature of the beast. you can get ones from places like deAuto. they are a bit more expensive and have a pretty good warranty claim process for when they inevitably fail.

alternative you could put in halogen bulbs and do measurements to see how much resistance by doing the math the long way.... but that's a bit more involved