GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with paint blemishes

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
I have had these for a while now but they are increasing in number so it is time for me to do something about it. I would rather do it myself than to go third party. The "scratches" are in patches so they are not a single scratch. Probably from things rubbing against the paint. Most of them are located on my rear bumper, and one large one on my door.

Here are some pictures, but they do not do the scratches justice as they stand out much more in person. They are also yellow/brownish in color, probably from dirt just getting in the scratches.

I am hoping these are just in the clear coat as they do not appear deep.

Basically I'm just wondering what the simplest process is to remove them and what specific products you all prefer (preferably if it is available at Autozone or Advanced Autoparts)

MuttGrunt

Ready to race!
You might be cheap, but with the car in question, I'll allow it as it doesn't need a lot ;)

You have spot issues, and not too many of them. You'll start the way you should always start: a nice wash in the shade.

After she's clean, go ahead and clay the affected areas to remove surface contamination.

For products, you'll want at least two. See if a local place has any smaller bottles of Meguiar's 105 and 205. Purchase both if they're 16oz or smaller. You won't be using a lot.

With either a clean microfiber towel or a clean yellow foam applicator (the type you apply a wax with), put a little of the more aggressive compound (105) on the applicator and using medium pressure, work it in circular motions. This might take multiple applications (2-3) and take your time. You only have to do it correctly once.

After, wipe off the residue with a clean microfiber towel, and then use the more mild polish (205) in the same manner, but in a slightly larger area. Once again, this might take 2 applications.

Wipe of residue, use your favorite wax/sealant.

Total time: 1 hour
Total cost: $30
Expected results: 75-90%

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
Thanks a lot :thumbsup:
I had a general idea about what to do since I've already dealt with some lighter spots before, but I was wondering if some this big would follow the same procedure. I'll be sure to pick up some 205/105 asap. Thanks again.