GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hesitation on Acceleration (Also, Hi!)

threadbare

Hello all! This is my first post here to introduce myself, my car, and already ask for some help.

I come to you from Pittsburgh, PA with a stock 52,000 mile, black 2013 R. It has been an absolute champ of a car! I bought it used and I love it.

Now for the help question: I have a hesitation issue under acceleration to highway speeds. I have gone to the dealership 3 times now and they can't find the issue (you can't diagnose what you can't see (I drove directly there yesterday with a larger than normal hesitation and when I got there it was gone. This leads me to believe it has something to do with highway driving, maybe boost/vacuum related due to cruising speeds?)) I tried to record it happening this morning, but as soon as I turned on the camera, it stopped. I am beginning to think this is a quantum engine.

I did manage to find a video on youtube that has the exact same problem though (except mine tends to drop 2-600rpms). At the beginning you can see the revs bounce and it almost sounds like there is an extra load just thrown in. My hope is that this isn't such an uncommon thing after all and that someone else will have a solution/place to start looking cause I'm stumped.

threadbare

That was my initial thought. Wouldn't that show more on hard acceleration from stop/go driving though? Or smell?

J20tDR

Passed Driver's Ed
My OEM clutch started to go around 40K With just a tune and intake. To me it seems like the clutch as well.

audiohs

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with the others in that it's most likely the clutch. I get the same thing in my car and I'm not tuned. The slippage occurs more often when it's colder outside. In the summer months, it rarely slips.

threadbare

I had been preparing for the possibility of needing a new clutch since this is most likely the original and I'm at 53,000 miles, but I was hoping not cause it isn't something I want to tackle at home. For the time being, I guess I'll take it a little more easy on hard accelerations.

With that being said, what is everyone running? I'm currently stock, but want to size according for a tune (probably will end up with IE's 2 (eventually)), exhaust, and intake. This is my daily, so I'm not going to do much more than that.

plumpzz

Ready to race!
Southbend stage 3 race. Good customer service. They'll resurface your clutch for a reasonable price if you do something dumb like put oil on it -.-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J20tDR

Passed Driver's Ed
I have stage 2+ setup with a southbend stage 2 daily clutch. While it is an awesome clutch and feels very similar to stock, it does not do a great job of holding on launches. I should have went with stage 3 or stage 2 performance. Moral of the store is if you never launch the car south bend stage 2 daily is perfect. It holds in all other beating I have put on it perfectly, except for launching.

threadbare

plumpzz and J20tDR did either of you replace the flywheel at the same time or is the stock ok? I've realized that out of all the cars I have had a clutch replaced in, I have never done anything besides stock and the one car that wasn't stock wasn't my decision.

How is the Southbend stage 3 as a daily? Keep in mind I live in a city with some pretty terrible traffic and hills.

Does anyone know anything about DKM?

J20tDR

Passed Driver's Ed
I did replace my flywheel as well. If I were you I would just do it since you are already in there. I think the south bend stage 3 daily would suffice if you weren't planning on going to the track every weekend and launching your car. Like I said the stage 2 daily works amazing and is especially easy in city atmosphere (Chicago and suburbs) the only bad part, is that it doesn't hold up that great for hard launches. Never had any other slipping though even in all types of weather.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I'm on a Clutch Masters FX250 with their lightweight flywheel; it holds strong and feels surprisingly close to stock, but it's noisy. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the rigid-disc version of the same kit and used an OEM dual-mass flywheel.

threadbare

I have heard a lot of feedback from Southbend clutches, but I am curious as to what DKM has to offer; I can't seem to find a whole lot out about them. Has anyone used them? The comparable kit on ECS Tuning is about $200 cheaper and is rated for 40 more ft/lbs.

J20tDR

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't really heard anything about DKM. However, you should be the guinea pig for it and let us know lol.